Chapter Fifteen - Mixed Signals

“So you both love Y/N?” asked Steve, looking between Sam and Bucky. Neither of them looked up from the floor. Steve felt bad for Nat, who had been lied to this whole time. And Sam felt bad for you, after being screwed around by Bucky. “And so Bucky, you decided to be a jerk and propose to Nat?” 

Bucky grabbed Steve by the sleeve of his shirt, “Get the fuck off my back,” he said, Sam pulled him back. And Bucky regained his posture. Now it felt just plain awkward with no one knowing what to do or say. 

“Bucky you should just leave if you’re going to continue this attitude,” said Steve, “It’s hardly fair that you're still going through with this and lying to Nat,” a notification went off on Bucky’s phone. He looked over the message, his whole body went solid. You had gone off with Loki and a Baron Zemo. You were with villains. He’d driven you to join villains. 

Sam looked at Bucky who was completely ignoring Steve, “Buck,” he said, “You could at least pay some more attention,” 

“Y/N is in Vienna,” said Bucky, looking up from his phone, “With Loki and Baron Zemo, she’s with a villain, she’s with the God of Mischief,” he said. Steve’s expression softened a little bit, through all this argument none of them had actually realised what it was doing to you. Everytime you got mixed signals from Bucky. You had no idea where you actually stood. And the reason you joined the villains was because you were looking for control. To understand what was going on. 

Bucky put on his jacket, “Bucky,” Steve called after him, making him sigh and turn around. Leaning against the doorframe. He had to find you. Find you and apologise. “If you leave now, I won’t forgive you for doing that to Nat,” Bucky just walked away. Leaving Sam and Steve. 

“I have to go with him,” said Sam. Steve nodded and he followed Bucky out the room to find his suit and sort out a plan. 

Just a short while later, Nat entered the kitchen. Steve looked down, “He left, I know,” she said, smiling slightly. “I’m okay, I promise,” Steve walked over to her and wrapped his arms round her waist. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him. 

-----------

Bucky and Sam were on the jet to Vienna, and an awkward silence had fallen over the both of them. They were both here to find you and save you. Because they both loved you. So it was like some kind of competition about who you would choose. Sam thought you would choose Bucky. And Bucky thought you would choose Sam. “What’s your plan?” asked Bucky as Sam jumped out the jet, and his wings allowed him to get closer to your apartment in Vienna. 

Bucky muttered under his breath as he jumped out the jet, preparing to fall into the street or something. He was completely prepared to fall to his death, but at that point it would have been an easier option than having to make you choose between him and Sam. And also then he wouldn’t have to be hated by both Nat and Steve. Well if it wasn’t the consequences of his own actions. 

--------

“I have a better plan,” you said to Loki and Zemo, who were still pretty mad at you. To be fair, you were kind of surprised you were alive. “Tony knows I’m here, which means that someone will be on their way right now, which is good for me, so I can turn you in,” you were pretty proud of your whole deception plan. 

Loki leaned back. “You’re going to turn us in?” asked Zemo. You were already making sure you had a gun on you. You assumed that two people that hated the avengers weren’t going to be taken in by an avenger without a fight. “I’m not a villain, I thought I could be, but I can’t hurt my friends,” 

“You can be a villain,” 

You were so distracted by Zemo’s words that you didn't feel Loki’s scepter piercing into your back. “What the fuck?” you said, turning round. Loki’s smug face was staring right back at you. He thought the mind control worked. It took all your strength not just to laugh. Him and Zemo thought they had control over you. 

“What a shame,” said Zemo, “She was nice,” you kicked him in the shin so he lost his balance, then punched him across the face, which sent him spiralling. You finished off the fight sequence with one swift kick to his chest. It sent Zemo straight to the floor, and then you knocked him out cold. 

“Your mind tricks don’t work on me,” you said to a bewildered looking Loki. He was so confused you managed to jump up and wrap your legs around his neck. Before flipping him to the floor, “Stay there,” you said, before running off. Your phone had gone off notifying you that someone was on their way. You quickly ran, hoping that you’d be able to get someone to help you bring them in. 

It wasn’t Bucky and Sam that you were expecting. “What happened?” asked Sam, as you joined them. 

A laugh came from behind you, “It’s far from over,” came Loki’s voice. You rolled your eyes, as Sam ran towards Loki, using his wings to jump up and hit him flat in the chest. You took his arm and pulled it behind his back before slapping him across the face. Loki used his scepter and hit it across your body so you fell into the nearest all. Bucky took over, repeatingly punching him, but Loki was strong, and used his scepter to throw him into the furthest wall. 

“Shit Bucky,” you said, as you stood up and ran over to him. Your forehead hurt from being thrown into a wall. Sam was taking on Loki, but he dislocated his right wing. You used the opportunity to kick Loki in the back, sending him forward. “Give up Loki,” you said, holding him down with your elbow and whispering into his ear.

Bucky and Sam joined you, as you stood back from Loki. You managed to keep his legs shaking as Bucky hit him square in the jaw. He went flying to the floor, once you’d knocked him out Bucky walked away. “Thanks Sam,” you said, wiping a bead of sweat from your forehead. 

“Are you coming home?” asked Sam. But then he noticed the masked figure behind you, “Y/N who is that?” he asked before you could answer. You turned to see Zemo, holding a gun. You rolled your eyes, of course this would happen. 

Bucky ran over to you, “Look can we just go home?” he said, he noticed the person behind you lift a gun up, aiming for your head, “Y/N watch out,” he shouted, lifting his own gun to protect you. Sam stood over you to protect you, his wings stretched out. A gunshot rang out, and you felt something hit you, falling to the floor. 

Sam ran over to Bucky, “I can’t see from this smoke,” said Bucky, looking for you. 

“Where is Y/N?” said Sam. 

They both turned to see Zemo. He had got there so fast, “It’s a shame she was nice,” said Zemo, looking at the floor. Bucky’s gaze hardened, as he realised that Zemo had always meant to kill you. You were always meant to end up dead. And he could tell you he was sorry and that he loved you. 

“He’s messing with you,” said Sam, but Bucky ignored you, “Bucky he’s messing with you,” 

Zemo chuckled, “She might have loved you, I guess we’ll never know,” Bucky pulled his gun from his pocket. His expression didn’t change, but he did have a tear in the corner of his eye. He didn’t protect you. He couldn’t save you. 

“Don’t make any stupid decisions,” said Sam, “Bucky let’s just take him in,” 

Bucky aimed the gun for Zemo’s chest, “You killed her,” he said, holding the trigger on his gun. Sam tried to pull the gun from Bucky’s hand, “I love her Sam,” he said, his words shaky, he used his vibranium arm to hold back Sam. 

“So did I,” said Sam.