Chapter 10 - We Are Stronger Together

"Hunter is so clumsy!" I thought,"can't he go one day without knocking me straight out of him?" I laughed a little to myself, as I flew towards Kelsey's house.

*************************************

I brush in the house and plop down my bags.

"I had a horrible day," I huffed. My mother gave me a sad smile as if she were saying "I'm sorry honey." I unwrapped a bag or popcorn and threw it into the microwave. Once I pressed start, I zoned out until it finished and started beeping again. I took out my popcorn, grabbed my school bags, and went upstairs to start my homework. I started with math, because at the moment it was the easiest and I was in the mood for something to be right, simple, and to the point, no questions asked.

Once I was thirty minutes in, and 23 questions down, I head a voice. I looked up to see Easton walking in through his real self's poster.

"Hey," he said, "I'm sorry about today."

He walked over to me and held out his hand. I took it and he helped me from my bed, pulling me into a hug. Easton was becoming more and more real these days. A few days ago, he was actually solid for a few minutes.

"Come'ere," he said softly,"It was just a bad day Kelsey. It'll all be okay. Alright? At Least you have me.." and his voice trailed off. I only hugged him tighter and prayed to God that he would stay solid for a little while longer.

"Hey, why don't you meet me in the old treehouse after dinner?" He asked. I shook my head in a yes motion because my voice was strained from crying. We both let go from our hug and Easton said, "I'll see you then okay? Finish your work so she can't say anything to stop you." He quickly winked and was gone.

*************************************

At dinner, I quickly scarfed down my food and loaded my dishes in the washer. I was thankful for it being Chinese take out, because that meant there were no dishes. I grabbed my jacket and my phone, then ran straight out the back door. I knew the treehouse was down a little far, but I couldn't wait for another late night with Easton.

After a few minutes I approach the treehouse. I can see the top of Easton's hair through the irregular wooden window. This makes me blow out a little more air in an effort to laugh within myself. I start climbing the pieces of wood that were pre-nailed to the tree. As I get closer to the top, I stretch out my arms and he pulls me the rest of the way up. We both laugh as we almost fall over.

"Care to sit my lady?" He said in a funny English voice.

"Why thank you!" I replied keeping our little game going. We both let out a small laugh and sat down on the plywood wood floor. Easton started talking to me about my day. I really didn't want to, but he said it might help to let it out. I trust him, so I did what he asked. Reaching the end of my story my head was focused down on the hands in my lap and it became hard for me to speak. I looked up at him and I couldn't help my self. I let out a small half laugh-half cry which made Easton chuckle.

"Kelsey," he near whined. He just pulled me in and I let myself be vulnerable. The truth is, I was stressed out from school and the divorce and it left me weak.

"Shh, It'll all be okay I promise. You just have to give it time." He spoke quietly. I started to cry softly in his arms and he just held me. He placed his hand on the back of my head and just listened to me silently weep.

After a few minutes Easton calmed me down enough to talk again. I rearranged myself so that we were sitting facing eat other.

"Easton?" I questioned.

"Hmm?"

"I know you said that you didn't ever want to talk about what happened, but I wanted to ask if you think you could tell me anything?" I said nervously. I half expected him to just blow of the question, or just say no.

"I guess now's a better time than any," he said as he started telling his story.

"It all happened about 3 months ago," Easton said sounding strong. "It was a week before I was scheduled to leave to start my next tour," He moved his hands in a circle to help him explain, even though they did nothing, and rested them back down on his knees. "My family and I were in the middle of dinner, laughing and talking about how things have changed," And his voice started sounding nervous and scratchy. "But then, two hooded figures barged in, locked the doors and started barking out orders. Then they moved us to the living room." His head was down and he was watching his hands as he kept speaking, his voice trembling. "And then they separated us. Me on one side, the rest of my family on the other, and the figures with the guns in the middle. One pushed me until I fell into my Dad's armchair and told me to sit silent and still or it will be worse for me later. The other figure pushed on the top of my families heads down to where they were kneeling on the ground in front of the fire place. And then moved along side their partner. They both held up their guns, and laughed as I clenched me teeth and tried to look away. Bang..Bang..Bang.." And he just stopped. I grabbed his hands and held them in mine.

"Easton, you don't have to say anymore, okay? I'm sorry." But He couldn't take it anymore. Easton immediately began sobbing and fell forward onto me. I was there to catch him. I just tried to be the rock that he needed. And after a few minutes, his tears dried and he looked up at me. We both just smiled. Not because we had found an answer to our problems (since they could never be fixed). But because we found someone who we could count on that was going through a very similar problem as our own.