Chapter 4 - Just For Fun?

Where was that voice coming from? How did it sound like he was right next to me? I begin to look around for speakers. I don't know if it's lucky I didn't find any, but it scared me enough to not sleep in my room. So once i'm sure moms asleep, i'm going down to sleep on the couch.

At ten o'clock, when i'm sure she's gone to bed, I open my door like regular, not because I don't care, but because I do. I've had some time to think out my plan, and I decided that opening my door slow and careful, would make even more noise because of the creaking. I laugh to myself at my cleverness and swing the door open. The hallway is pitch black. I really wish I had my phone for a flashlight. I begin to walk down stairs, but I stub my toe on something in the middle of the hallway. I believe this is the 'electronics fragile' box that mom didn't bother carrying into her room. Maybe, she was too mad to even realize my phone was on top? With a little too much enthusiasm, I reach down and feel the hard rugged box and move my hand across its surface. Nothing. Another reason for my anger. I lay on the floor and army crawl my way towards the stairs. I don't want to make any noise from walking so this seemed like the next best thing, besides floating through thin air.

I reach the stairs, and slide down on my butt. The wood beneath me is cold and hard, making me shiver. I feel a cold breeze against me coming up from the kitchen below me. Maybe this wasn't the best idea, but I wasn't about to go back up there, so I kept moving. I finally reach the couch and fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

**************************

The sun shines bright through the window and into my eyes. I didn't sleep last night. It was way to cold for anything to survive in this cold temperature. I barely managed with my enormous pile of blankets. I sat up, yawning, and stretching. I flung my feet over the side and made my way to the kitchen. This kitchen was beautiful. It had white cabnets, light green walls and silver appliances. From the living room you can see the stove on the farthest wall and an island in the middle. Next to the stove, plugged in, was a radio. I turned it on and walked to the fridge for some eggs.

"And that! Was Ray Boureaux with All of Me! Up next is 5 Seconds of Summer with She Looks So Perfect!" The new song filled the kitchen and I started to sing along. My hips were swaying as I cracked the eggs into the skillet. I took the spatula and sang into my own personal microphone. The chorus came on and I imagined myself at my own personal concert. The audience roaring, the strobe lights flashing, and its just me on stage.

"She looks so perfect standing there, in my American appearl underwear!" I sang loudly and quite off key. My mother emerged from the stairs with a blank expression. She walked across my stage and to the coffee maker. I watched her pour it and head outside onto the deck. The door slammed shut behind her whether it be from her anger or from her only having one available hand while the other held her coffee, I will never know.

"This song is brought to you by the Louisiana State Police asking everyone, to still be on the lookout for the once rising country star, Hunter Hayes." My head turned slowly around while I heard his name. It would almost be creepy if anyone was watching me, but I was alone.

I started singing again "I was a broke down heart brake bad in need of

A little of loves electricity

A busted carnival ride in the middle of the night

Then you flipped the switch, you turned on the show. You light me up!" By this time, I was jumping and pumping my free hand into the air. I paused to catch my breath, and I thought I heard a belly laugh come from somewhere. Looking around, I saw no one. I was just about to think 'why is this always happening?' But clearly my mom was watching me from the window. Once I saw her, She beckoned me out. I turned off the stove, and put down the spatula. I was nervous and didn't know what to expect. Was she still mad? Was I?