Chapter 2

TW: Panic attack (I'll put *** before and after this part so you know when to skip)

24 April 1898

Y/N's POV

Today was the first day of us looking for jobs and let me tell you how much harder it was than I thought. You would think that with how much New York relies on child labour, surely it would be easier to find work but I digress.

It had also been a week since the fire and Al and I still hadn't read the notes. It's almost as if reading the last words from our parents really finalises everything. It's a goodbye I wasn't ready to say and from the looks of it, neither was Al.

"Hey N/N, we've been turned down eight times today maybe we should call it a day and try again tomorrow."
"It's not even late, Al."
"How about we just walk and talk then."

That's what we did. We caught up. I finally told him about my full marks to which he unsurprisingly responded that he didn't care. Crazy to think that we're probably never going to school again. (Sounds like Albert's dream)

Nice to know that I finished my school with a perfect grade. Still kinda sad that I'll never get to experience high school. I'll also probably never see my best friend, Lindsay again.

Some time passed and we were still walking just trying to make the most out of our situation.

I guess we hadn't noticed that we were walking past the same places but someone did and I guess thought we were planning something because they informed a cop about "two suspicious loiterers".

Before we new it some angry looking guy with a group of cops ran at us yelling to stop.

Us, having done nothing illegal, obliviously stopped and didn't think much of it. That was until we heard him say "It's off to the refuge with you two!"

We know what the refuge is, we've heard the stories. We also know that this man, who I now assumed was Snyder the spider, will stop at nothing for some extra change. Even arresting innocents.

Now we ran but they ran faster. Snyder inevitably caught up to us. Al was about to be grabbed when I pushed him out of the way and let Snyder take me instead.

Before Snyder grabbed onto me, I realised that I was holding the bag. I quickly shoved it into Albert's hands and yelled, "Run!"
"No Y/N, I can't lose you too!"

By this point, Snyder, had a firm grip on me and some of his goons were gaining on Al.
"I said run!"

With tears running down his face he screamed, "I love you!" before taking off in the opposite direction.

By then the goons, to my relief gave up on Albert deeming the chase not worth it. Me on the other hand, well I was thrown in the back of his carriage and it was "OfF tO tHe ReFuGe" with me.

Albert's POV

I lost her too. After losing my parents, the home I grew up in and any hope of normalcy for the future, I lost Y/N too. I have nothing left.

When she shoved the bag into my hand and yelled at me to run it just brought me back to that day when my parents did the same thing. The parallels were uncanny.

I mindlessly ran as far as my legs could take me, heavily sobbing. Well that is until I ran into a wall sending me to the ground.

That wall turned out to be a human. A newsie by the looks of it, with a cigar in his mouth.

"Hey are youse okay?" he asked, helping me up.
"I-uh" it was getting increasingly harder to breathe.

"Hey, hey it's okay just breathe," he said trying to calm me down.
"She's gone."
"What?"
"I lost everything."