Chapter 14

29 July 1898

Y/N's POV

Quite some time has passed and with that, a lot has happened.

It kinda seems like my relationship with my brother is deteriorating. Like the longer I keep secrets from him the more distant we become but at the same time I know that if I told him about the Delanceys, he wouldn't take it well.

I also became closer with the Jacobs siblings. This then led to me introducing Sarah and Lindsay to Katie so now I have a group of girls that I'm friends with. It's a nice break from being constantly surrounded by boys.

Of course they can't know that Katie is a Delancey because then Lindsay might tell Crutchie and then it would be game over. So now I'm keeping secrets from more people, what a mess.

Speaking of Katie, yesterday she called her doctor friend over, did a quick check up and deemed my arm fully healed so I got the cast removed.

Now the only evidence of my time in the refuge is a couple of scars, namely the one on the side of my face from that last day.

Getting the cast removed felt like starting afresh. Obviously it didn't actually change anything but to me it felt like it symbolised the end of one part of my life and the beginning of another.

Speaking of things that have changed, over time, the way I speak is a lot more the other newsies. Accents really do rub off easily.

Other things that have developed over the past month, my friendship with Race and the Delanceys as well as Race and Katie's 'just friendship'. It's frustrating to just watch them pining for each other when they're both too afraid to admit anything.

See it's different to Morris and I because he doesn't like me back so it's not frustrating looking from the outside, maybe just depressing.

That's besides the point, Oscar managed to get tickets for Morris and me to watch a vaudeville show. A woman named Medda Larkin.

Our seats were somewhat secluded from the rest of the audience but it was nice, made it seem like a private show for us. Made it seem kinda like a date.

Before the show started we were just talking a bit. He had an arm around my shoulders and I was leaned into him.

"So, how does it feel to not have a cast anymore?"
"Jus' lost my main source of income," I joked.

"Nah you're a beautiful girl, I'm sure everyone wants to buy from you."
"Smooth, Delancey, but that line don't work if it ain't true."

"Good thing it is. Whether you wanna believe it or not, you're beautiful." He smiled at me and squeezed my hand a bit.

I didn't even know how to respond to that, I felt heat rush to my cheeks.

"Well you's also got the good looks. 'm sure if you were a newsie ya'd sell plenty'a papes."
"You think I could pull off a newsie cap?"

He stole my cap off my head and put it on his own head making a funny face.

"Yeah ya definitely look good in it," I laughed, "I'd buy from ya."
"Well then you'd be my favourite customer, N/N."

"I'd be a frequent one too. Suddenly 'd have incentive ta know 'bout current events 'cause the guy selling 'em ta me looks like you."

"Well I guess I'm keeping this cap then," he said with a playful smirk.

I laughed and stole my cap back, "Yeah, not happenin'."

"So, what has Y/N DaSilva been up to?"
"Oh you know, out and about, workin' I guess. Making some friends too."