Chapter 18

17 July 1899

Y/N's POV

We're now half way into '99 and my life is very different from what I always thought it would be. For one thing, Morris Delancey is my boyfriend.

Boyfriend. Huh, I've never had one of those before. It's part of that whole dream I always had, the pretty young lady who performs on the big stage and has a perfect romance.

One thing I am certain of is that the boys would definitely not be happy to hear of my relationship. Al and Racer know but the rest...

Yeah, that wouldn't go over well. Imagine me trying to casually mention that I'm fraternising with the enemy. Yeah, trouble.

"Heya, N/N, bright and early again," I hear from Jack behind me.
"Of course, early bird catches da good headline," I remarked.
"Hasn't worked in all the years I been doin' this," he joked.

"Fair enough. You been dreamin' 'bout Santa Fe again?" I teased.
"You know it," he winked, "even got Crutchie on da plan, now it's just the waitin' game. Whatcha think da headline'll be today?"

"I think we all know. Same snoozer 's da past three weeks."

That damn trolley strike. No one really cares why it's happening all they wanna know is when they'll finally be able to use their trolleys like normal again.

This whole strike thing is interesting to me though. I mean as newsies, we don't have a union so who's to say that the powers that be don't exploit us. We'd be pretty powerless seeing as we make pennies as is.

"Yep, trolley strike, even Racer could win a bet on dat."
I snorted, "It is what it is, Jackie, let's go sell da papes."
"Yeah yeah, N/N. Time ta get the day started."

"Hey Specs! Racer, Henry, Albert, Elmer! Get a move on! Them papes don't sell themselves!" he yelled.

"You have way to much fun doing that," I pointed out amusedly.
"Best part of da job," he replied and I just shook my head, chuckling as I went off to go to the others.

When I found Race and Albert, Race was busy repeating Jack's wake up call.

"Howdy boys," I greeted.
"Ya sounds like Jack," Albert commented.
"Been spending too much time wit' him, might go an' turn into a country girl."

"Now definitely don't be doin' dat," quipped Albert before snatching something from Race.

"Hey, dat's my cigar!"
"You'll steal another!"

And so the daily bickering began. I rolled my eyes and chuckled, I love these boys so much.

Surely enough the headline today was business as usual... for the past three weeks. Honestly what's there to strike about these days when you gotta work to live?

Beyond that, what could Pulitzer possibly see in such an absolute snoozer day in and day out? 

"Hey, ain't your father one of the strikers?"
"Guess he didn't take care of me!" broke me out of my zoned out state.

It just escalated further and further and suddenly there was a Newsie-Delancey chase. A mess, really.

I just stood back in the chaos of it all, if only they understood each other. But that's not the kind of thing that happens in reality.

"Have a look at this. A new kid!" I look up to the absolute shock of my life. Davey and Les Jacobs? There is no way.

In the midst of all the rumblings my heart sunk at the implications of them being here.

I waited for him to escape the hysteria before making my reintroduction into David's life.

"Davey," I greeted, offering nothing of myself but a nod of my head.
"Well if it isn't my favourite newsgirl," he replied, a happiness radiating off of him that felt oddly misplaced given the circumstances of his presence.