Chapter 6

2 June 1898

Y/N's POV

Today was the day. The concept of seeing Albert again felt almost impossible after what I'd been through the past month.

We decided we'd go in the evening because he'd be out selling papers during the day.

I was filled with so much anticipation and I wasn't even a hundred percent sure he'd be there. I guess it was just the possibility of getting even a bit of my old life back.

Eventually the time came.
"Alright Y/N, ready to possibly see your brother again?"
"Never been more ready."

After the struggle of getting my injured self out of bed, we walked to the Newsboys lodging house and I knocked on the door. Well, here goes everything.

A boy with dark hair opened the door, "How can I help ya?"
"Hey um, is Albert DaSilva here?" I meekly asked.

This was it, make it or break it. If he wasn't here, I didn't know what I'd do. My thoughts were interrupted by the boy's voice.

"Hey Albert, there's someone here wantin' ta see you!"
"Tell 'em I don't wanna see nobody!"

I froze. His voice. I almost cried on the spot. I felt Katie's hand on my shoulder and turned to her.

"That's him," I said just above a whisper, my voice cracking from the emotion. "Go home Kat, I'll be alright."

She hugged me. "Okay N/N, make sure to come visit me sometime." With that she left.

"Come on Al, you sure you don't wanna see me?" I heard fast footsteps after I spoke and then I saw him at the door.

"N/N?" He looked at me in disbelief.
"That's me." He wasted no time in tackling me in a hug.

After our initial shock had passed, he addressed the other boy. "Uh Jack, this is my sister, Y/N."

"Nice ta meet ya Y/N, 've heard a lot about you."
"All good things I hope," I joked, honestly still not believing the current situation.
"Yeah, of course," he said, chuckling.

They then invited me inside to meet the boys. Can I just say, there are a lot of them. Like a lot. It's gonna take me quite a while to learn all their names.

Eventually after the day's excitement, I just caught up with Albert again.

"So, you look terrible," he joked.
"Haha very funny, Al," I said rolling my eyes.
"Okay but seriously, are you okay? I know that place is horrible and I couldn't sleep knowin' what was happening to ya there."

"Albert. It's okay, I'm here and that's all that matters now. I'm not leaving, okay?"
"I just missed ya so much." I wrapped my good arm around him and let him cry it out for probably a minute or so.

"I missed you too, Al, but here I am now and with some pretty cool battle scars might I add," I said pointing to my arm which got a little laugh out of him.

"Hey Albert, you know what I've noticed?"
"What?"
"You're starting to talk like the newsies."
"Huh, guess I am," he acknowledged with a chuckle. "How's about you become a newsie like I did?"

"Do they let girls do that sorta thing?" I questioned with a raised eyebrow.
"Yeah, I heard that there were some in the past."
"Well then how's about I do," I said mocking him.
"Shut up," he said, rolling his eyes.

When I went to bed I struggled to fall asleep. It was like my mind was fighting my body. I was exhausted but for some reason, sleep wouldn't come over me.

Eventually I did sleep but it was short-lived and I then knew exactly why my mind didn't want me asleep.

The second I slipped into dream land, I was back at the refuge. I relived all the worst things Snyder did to me in the span of a few seconds. When I jolted awake, I was quite quickly aware of reality but more frustrated than anything.

"Can't I just be done with that man and that place already?" I said to myself.

"You'll never be done with me, girly."
"What?"
"You really thought you were free," he scoffed, "You're stuck with me forever."

"No, no, please no." My breath started to speed up as fear set in. I kept repeating those words in hope that somehow they would take me out of this situation.

That must've worked because I woke up to someone shaking me. I jumped and my eyes snapped open to see Jack looking at me sympathetically. A dream inside a dream, huh.

"You's okay Y/N," he reassured, rubbing my arm. It wasn't anywhere near as comforting as Morris but it definitely calmed me down significantly.

"What time is it?"
"Probably 'round four, da circulation bell's gonna ring in a couple'a hours."
"What're you doing up, Jack?"
"Couldn't sleep," he shrugged, "so I walked 'round a bit and saw ya havin' a nightmare. Ya want me ta call Albert over?"
"Nah don't wake him. I'll just stay here till it's time to go."

"Ya sure?"
"Yeah I'm sure."
"Well I's got somethin' better than that. Come up with me to my penthouse in the sky."
"Your what?"
"Come up and you'll see."

So we climbed up to his "penthouse" and it was surprisingly refreshing. He must've noticed how I was feeling because I heard him from behind me say, "Peaceful, right?"

"Yeah," I said with a genuine smile on my face.
"Someday you's gonna bring some guy up here after I's given him da stern dad talk," he said, smirking.
"Um, what?"
"I's you and Albert's honorary older brudda so that makes me responsible for the stern dad talk. That's just how it goes," he said, shrugging like it was obvious.

"You're only two years older than us," I said with a deadpanned expression.
"Two years wiser," he teased, ruffling my hair.

I could actually picture him as our older brother. Kinda like Oscar.

"Rest up a bit N/N, I'll wake ya up when it's time," he said, smiling warmly at me.