Chapter 3

TW: Abuse/torture (I'll put *** before and after this part so you know when to skip)

25 April 1898

Y/N's POV

Some voices woke me up. I think it was like 3am.

"Hey Oscar, I heard that there's a girl next door."
"Oh, really?"
"Yup and the spider said we can see her."

Huh. I assumed those were the Delancey brothers. Didn't seem like they wanted to beat me up. Also they called him the spider which was weird. Don't they work here? 

I didn't have enough time to think anything else before they walked in through the door that connected our rooms.

"Ah so you're the girl," the seemingly older one said with an unreadable expression. I was shaking at this point. Who knows what they could do to me.

"Oscar, you're scaring her!" His raise of tone only frightened me more.
"Please don't hurt me," I spoke just above a whisper.

The older one (I guess Oscar) now dawned a softer expression that became more readable as concern. "Hey we're not gonna hurt you."
"You're not?"

The other one spoke this time, walking towards me, "Nope you're okay. I'm Morris Delancey and this is my brother Oscar."

He sat next to me on the bed and put his arm around me. I jumped a bit at first but eventually leaned into his touch. Something about him made me feel safer.
"Y/N DaSilva."

I was still shaking a bit and Morris noticed so he started drawing shapes on my arm which had a weird calming effect on me.

"Don't worry, Morris and I hate Snyder just as much as you do."
"Wait what? Don't you guys work for him?"

"Yeah not by choice. Oscar and I are kinda forced to by our father and the spider."
"Oh... I'm sorry."
"Notcha fault, kid," Oscar said ruffling my hair.

I swatted his hand away exclaiming, "I'm no kid, I'm fourteen."
"Yeah, well I'm sixteen and Morris here is fifteen so go figure," he replied, shrugging before ruffling my hair again.

Rolling my eyes I returned to the topic of the conversation, "What do you mean by forcing you to work here."

"Hey you don't have to say anything if you don't want to," I reassured, sensing their reluctancy.
"No it's fine." Morris deeply sighed.

"Since our ma died, it's always been Oscar, our sister Katie and I against our father. He would constantly beat us half to death. One time he threw glass bottles at me. When he became friends with Snyder it got even worse. Snyder needed people who would work for him, our father needed the money the spider would give him and we needed Katie to be safe. Eventually we had a sort of agreement that Katie's allowed to stay at her own place away from our father and he can't hurt her and in return we'll work for Snyder so that he'll pay our father. However, that also meant the strict conditions of working here. When we do anything wrong or don't wanna do something they tell us to do, they'll beat us in front of each other. We don't wanna see each other get hurt so that just leads us to do worse stuff. Now it goes past working here. At our job giving the newsies their papers, we're forced to rough 'em up. Our Uncle Wiesel who also works there knows about all this but he can't do anything. I just wish we didn't have to do this stuff but when we go to Katie's place and see her happy, it's all worth it."

I was left practically speechless and the boys on the verge of tears. "I, wow I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry guys. Also I totally get the whole concept of doing anything for your sibling. I'm here because it was almost my twin brother who Snyder took. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if it was him here."