Chapter 10

TW: Abuse (I'll put *** before and after this part so you know when to skip)

5 June 1898

Morris' POV

After yesterday, I don't know where I stand with Y/N. Obviously I like her but we wouldn't have gotten so awkward if she felt the same way as me.

Before we got to work, I was stopped by Oscar.

"You okay? You've been acting weird since yesterday."
"Yeah let's just go," I responded coldly.
"Gee, remind me to never care about you again," he said rolling his eyes.

As we started giving the newsies their papers, I obviously noticed Y/N but I made an effort to avoid eye contact. Oscar noticed this.

"What's going on between you and Y/N?" he whispered.
"Nothing," I mumbled.
He sighed, "Whatever, don't say I didn't ask."

When Y/N approached me, it took everything in me to not just kiss her right then and there.
"We need to talk," she whispered.

Yeah she got that right.

I don't know what led me to be so cold towards her but before I knew it, the conversation was over and she was gone.

The fact that I had an oncoming important conversation seemed to move the line slower than usual but eventually the newsies all had their papers and I was on my way to meet Y/N.

The whole way there, I was going back and forth with my thoughts but I came to the decision that today was the day. Today, I would confess to Y/N that I have feelings for her.

The mere thought of it terrified me but it felt right.

The moment we made eye contact, my heart rate started to accelerate as it really sunk in what I was about to do. Every step she took in my direction brought me closer to the moment.

"Hey."
"Hi."

I decided to just say it before I could find a way to convince myself not to.
"Y/N, about yesterday–"

She cut me off before I could say it, "Yeah I get it, it was a stupid heat of the moment thing and we should just stay friends."

My face started to show my true emotions but I quickly covered it up, "Yeah that's... exactly how I feel."

Definitely 100% not how I feel whatsoever. I guess it was for the best that I didn't get to tell her how I feel because clearly she doesn't feel the same way.

The rest of the conversation was like a blur.

In fact, the rest of the day felt like a blur until I got home to see Oscar and my dad. Oscar's face bore bruises that were clearly recent and my father wore a furious expression.

"Ah, look at that, useless boy number two has arrived," he announced with a sinister tone.

I turned to Oscar, confused and he simply looked to the ground.

My father continued his spiel, "I was just talking with Snyder. Seems he has reason to question your abilities."

Oscar and I said nothing.

"Yeah, apparently some high security prisoner escaped and now he's angry. When he gets angry he questions the competence of his workers, namely you."

I remained silent.

"You two imbeciles better start proving yourselves because if you lose your jobs I don't get paid!"

He took a pause before continuing, an evil smirk growing on his face, "I mean wouldn't you hate for something to happen to little Katie?"