Chapter 9

5 June 1898

Y/N's POV

This morning, the first thing on my mind was Morris. I had no idea what I was going to do but I also barely had time to my own thoughts.

Albert came up to me, "So, have fun with Racer yesterday?"
"Leave me alone," I grumbled into my pillow.

"I honestly like you two together. He's got my stamp of approval so go date him."
At that, I turned to face him. "First of all I'm not dating Race and secondly, I don't need your stamp of approval to date someone."

"As your older brother–"
"By five minutes," I said rolling my eyes. He just ignored me and continued.

"As your older brother, it's my responsibility to approve boys before you date them."
Well I like a boy he definitely wouldn't approve of.

"Whatever let's get going, papers ain't gonna sell themselves," I said, devoid of any emotion. Honestly I was just really not looking forward to dealing with my Delancey situation.

We got to the circulation gates like usual then waited in line. I looked ahead and noticed Morris actively avoiding eye contact. I sighed.
When I got my papers I whispered to him, "We need to talk."

"Same bench as yesterday when the whole line's got their papers," he mumbled.
I shot him a confused look to which he responded somewhat aggressively, "You wanna talk or not?"
"Fine."

I walked away. Today I sold alone so I decided to sell near Central Park. I would sing some songs which gathered quite a crowd and then they would buy papers from me.

A few minutes into my paper selling strategy, I noticed Morris so I quickly went over to him.

"Hey."
"Hi."

There was a long pause of very uncomfortable silence before he spoke. 

"Y/N, about yesterday–" I didn't even let him say it. I couldn't deal with hearing those words come out of his mouth.
"Yeah I get it, it was a stupid heat of the moment thing and we should just stay friends." My words elicited a quickly masked shocked expression from him. Maybe he didn't expect me to have the same thoughts as him.

"Yeah that's... exactly how I feel," his hesitation confused me but maybe it was just because he was worried about my feelings for him.

"Great, glad we're on the same page. I gotta go sell some newspapers but see you around whenever." No we're very much not on the same page. I have feelings for him and he just wants to be friends.

"Yeah not today because my dad wants Oscar and I home. I think Katie said she wanted to hang out with you today though."
"Cool, see you tomorrow, Mo."
"Yeah, see you, Y/N."

Well there go any hopes of us being together. Now I have my confirmation that Morris doesn't like me that way and honestly it hurts.

I walked a bit more dejectedly and found myself back at the spot from before. This time I would find the most interesting headlines on the page, exaggerate them a bit and then make songs using them.

People would buy a paper from me then stay to see how creative I could get. Soon enough my papers were gone but I still stayed for a little while performing some songs for the crowd and getting some tips.

I eventually grew a bit tired and performed my last song.
"Well that's all for today guys. Thank you so much for the tips, really appreciate it."

I felt so in my element when I performed for a crowd. This is what I wanna do, not hawking headlines.

I made my way over to Katie's place and knocked on the door.
"Who is it?"
"It's Y/N, can I come in?" I heard frantic footsteps then the door opened.
"Y/N, I'm so happy to see you! You've got a lot of explaining to do," she said while wrapping me in a tight hug and inviting me inside.