Chapter 10

(Anaya's POV)

"We might not make it out of this.", I start off, looking at the crew surrounding the holotable. "And just in case we don't, I want to say I don't know what we are. A crew? It feels like we're more than that. Friends maybe? But to me, we've become like a very close, and very strange family. And without you I wouldn't be me.", I said, while smiling.

KVN suddenly grabbed me and started shaking me. "Us! Us! Us! Us! Uuuuus!", KVN chanted.

"Shut the hell up, KVN!", Gary exclaimed. KVN then got even closer.

"I will never leave you, Anaya. I will be your deep space insanity avoidance forever companion.", KVN swore. Gary got angry.

"I swear to God, KVN!", Gary curses. I sigh and continued.

"Anyways, whatever happens, wherever we go, we find each other when this is over. Deal?", I told them. The others in conformation.

"All right, let's do this.", I said. "There are too many, Anaya. We'll never be able to break through.", Hue informed us.

Gary glared in determination. "Alright, does anyone have any ideas? Any at all?", Gary asked.

I then got an idea. "What about a Level 4 Particle Burn?", I suggest.

"That could work.", Hue replies. "Great. While I bust out my chemistry set, how about explaining what the hell that means?!", Gary demanded.

"It means we eject our lightfold core and detonate it. It's the only way.", I simplify. "Wait, so your great idea is to explode the lightfold engine?!", Gary exclaimed.

I looked at him with certainty, and that seemed to get through to him. Gary glared in determination and began the order.

"Hue, eject the-", Gary was cut off, however, by the sound of Hue ejecting our lightfold engines. "Done, Gary.", Hue told us.

"Seriously? I mean, next time, can you warn me first?", Gary asked, annoyed. "Gary there is no 'next time.'", Hue spoke, saying what we were all thinking.

I quickly took a seat and buckled up. Hue started the count down.

"Detonating in 3, 2, Boomtown.", Hue stated. And with that, the engines exploded, taking many ships with it.

"Hue, full speed toward the breach. We got a hole to close.", I ordered in the most serious tone of voice I could. "Good lord that is hot.", I heard Gary whisper.

Hue sped past all of the space debris. "Is this fun? It is! It is fun!", Tribore exclaimed.

Menacing drones suddenly approached our ship, but Hue was quick to defend us. "Shields up, Anaya.", Hue informed me.

"Hue, what are those things?", I asked the AI, worried. Hue quickly replied, "The Lord Commander's hive ships, Anaya. If they eat through the shields, there will be nothing left to stop them."

"How long will the shields hold?", I asked. "Shield Integrity is at 79% and dropping.", Hue announced.

"That's like a That's like a B-minus! We're still good!", Gary cheered. "Now at 63%.", Hue told Gary, stomping out Gary's hopes in the shields.