twelve

* six thousand reads - this is SO amazing. thank you! please read the note at the end of the chapter. enjoy! engage and comment throughout <3 *

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"Did you see that comment?" I whispered, the unease lingering on my tongue as I sat on the floor near Mason, who was resting on the sofa in Declan's front room. "They called me a dirty cheating scum. I can't have people calling me that. I'm not, I'm really not."

Mason didn't respond initially, he just knitted his brows together as he thought. I was pleased that he was feeling better after yesterday. After a good night's sleep and well needed rest, he was feeling more like his normal self. Declan was training, so it was just Mason, Teddy and I in the house. I was relieved because I needed that time to talk to Mason about that Instagram comment.

"How so they even know about me and you?" That was my biggest worry, my biggest fear. "There's nothing that could suggest we're even seeing each other."

"Delilah, stop. They're probably just trying to create rumours," Mason reached out so that his hand was closer to my hair. He began to brush his index finger against my forehead and my hairline, reassuring me, and calming me down. "We've been friends for years, and comments about me and you have always been a thing."

"But what if Declan starts to question it? What if he thinks we're-"

"Don't be stupid," Mason cupped my cheek in his hand as I sighed and tilted my head ever so slightly. I was comfortable on the floor with my legs crossed and my face in Mason's hand, Teddy curled up in my lap. He was so small and so sweet. I was so in love with him, and so pleased that he was my baby. "Declan would never suspect a thing, definitely not between us."

"He might," I sighed. "But he obviously hasn't seen it because he would bring it up, or reply to it and tell them that they're stupid. They're not."

"Ocean eyes." Mason winced a little as he shuffled on the sofa, pulling the duvet from the spare bed further over his chest as he tried to get comfortable again against the pillows. I hated seeing him like this, and as soon as there was a visible amount of pain, I jumped into action.

"Are you good?" I had strict instructions from Frank and Chelsea's medical team to call them if anything started to become a problem. If his concussion seemed to get worse, like, if he was passing out and becoming forgetful, or agitated, then I had to get in touch with them. I didn't want to see Mason injured or hurt. "Mase, talk to me."

"I'm fine," he nodded, slowly pushing me away so that I wasn't able to fuss around him like I wanted to. "You don't need to worry. About me, or about that stupid comment. Declan trusts you."

"And he shouldn't, Mason," I exhaled, guilt hitting me like a ton of bricks as I exhaled, hoping that my chest would feel a little looser and less tight as I tried to relax. It was difficult. "He shouldn't trust me."

"Delilah, go shower, go freshen up," Mason closed his eyes. He looked tired, despite getting plenty of rest last night, but I assumed he would still be feeling sleepy as a result of the medication he was on to help with the pain. I wanted him to feel better, like we all did, and I wanted to be the person who made things better for him. "I'll stay here, Teddy will keep me company."

"As long as you're okay." I smiled, still feeling uneasy, but Mason pressed a kiss to my forehead with his soft lips, and I suddenly remembered why I was so in awe of him. It was wrong, and I was the worst human being for doing so, but I loved Mason. I was certain of it. Mason nodded, pushing me away with a little chuckle, as I lifted a sleeping Teddy onto Mason's torso. My little puppy cuddled into the warmth provided by the duvet, and I watched his little body relax into a safe place.