epilogue

the epilogue of ocean eyes is finally here. please don't forget to engage as you read. enjoy!

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

"You did it, ocean eyes," as the sound of high-pitched cries filled the room, Mason pressed his lips to my sweaty forehead for the hundredth time that day. His hand was still locked between mine. "You did it. He's here."

I closed my eyes and let out an exhausted sigh, despite wanting to muster as much strength as I possibly could to take a glance at our little miracle. Before I knew it, however, he was placed on my chest in a bundle of towels, his warm face making contact with my bare skin.

Mason caressed my cheek, "I'm so proud of you."

I smiled at him through teary eyes. Never did I think this would happen to me, especially after my PCOS diagnosis.

"Hi," I whispered, as Mason wiped the tears from my eyes with the sleeve of his hoodie. I couldn't distinguish sweat and tears right now. "Hi. Oh my God. You're so small. You're so precious."

My heart swelled with a type of love I'd never felt before.

Mum told me that the feeling of love for your child is like nothing you can experience in any other form. He'd been here for a matter of minutes, and already, I was absolutely in love with every single thing about the little baby boy I'd been carrying and protecting for nine months now.

My parents didn't take the news well, initially. They were supportive, but I could feel their disappointment. Their disappointment in me for cheating on Declan, but also for getting pregnant by a man who was his best friend. However, things changed very quickly and both mum and dad were prepared to do absolutely anything and everything for me. I felt guilty. No matter how many times mum told me it was okay, or dad promised that I didn't need to worry, I still felt guilt eating away at me.

Mum and dad were on their way to the hospital in London from Manchester. Mason informed them last night that my waters had broken but things didn't get underway properly until this morning. I couldn't wait to be comforted by my mum.

"He's beautiful," Mason placed his hand on my shoulder, his face by mine as he stared lovingly at our baby boy. "God, you did so well. He's so lucky to have you."

"Would you like some skin-to-skin time, dad?" Alexia arrived half an hour ago, when I was screaming and crying in pain, telling Mason over and over that this was impossible and I couldn't do it. She soothed me, and promised everything would be alright, like she did from day one.

Hesitantly, Mason looked at the little baby on my chest. I was caressing his tiny body with my index finger. Words failed me.

"Yes," Mason was quick to remove his hoodie, followed by his shirt. He took up his spot in the comfortable chair by my bed, surrounded by blankets. "I would love that."

When our baby was taken from my chest to be placed on Mason's, I used all of my remaining energy to sit up. Alexia passed me my drink and I sipped on the ice cold water through a straw, then turned my head to look at my boys.

Mason held him so perfectly, and I could see that glimmer in his eyes as he admired our baby. Throughout my pregnancy, he had been so excited, even more so when we found out we were expecting a boy. Finally seeing them together was like a dream come true.

"His name is so perfect for him," I whispered, tiredness hitting me like a ton of bricks. I needed the rest right now, no matter how desperate I was to sit and stare lovingly at our baby for as long as I could. "Don't you agree?"

"One hundred percent," Mason grinned. It meant everything to him. "He is perfect."

-