nineteen

* keeping you waiting for so long is totally shocking of me and i am so sorry. this story is almost finished but i really hope you will enjoy these last few chapters. thank you for waiting so patiently and being so understanding. and thank you for 100k reads <3 *

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

I sat in the hospital waiting room - alone and terrified - while waiting for Alexia to call my name and bring me into her room for the scan I was scheduled to have.

Recently, I'd been suffering from pains in my stomach, along with aches everywhere else and my period was late. The fact that I'd actually had a period recently was a miracle and I knew it could just be my PCOS, but something felt different. This wasn't a flare up.

Mason encouraged me to call Alexia as soon as possible because I kept her number. She often called to check in, to see how the medication was working and if I was feeling any better. The phone calls were generally positive as things were looking up. I didn't want to call her with bad news but Mason told me it was best, that if there was something wrong, I needed to find out as soon as possible.

I was the only person in the waiting room apart from the receptionist. My leg was bouncing up and down frantically because I was so nervous. There was no way of preempting what she might say. I wanted Mason to be here, but he had training that he couldn't miss, so I came alone. Maybe it was for the best. Alexia didn't know about my relationship with Mason.

"Delilah?" Her voice was sweet and welcoming, and it pulled me out of my daydream. I looked at her and forced a smile; she looked pretty as ever. I, on the other hand, looked like I'd been hit by a car. "Is everything alright?"

"I'm not sure," I admitted, as I followed her into the all-too familiar room and climbed onto the bed without being instructed. I knew the procedure here. "Something feels wrong. I don't know what it is."

"Tell me how you've been feeling while I set the ultrasound machine up," she closed the door before walking towards the machine, but she then looked at me, and I think it hit her. I'm here alone. "Where's Declan? It's not like him to miss your appointments here."

"Declan and I are no longer together," I chewed on my lip. There was absolutely no point in pretending he was busy at training or anything like that. "I'm here by myself."

"Oh," she furrowed her brows. "I'm sorry to hear that."

"Don't worry about it." I didn't dwell on it much anymore. Declan made it very clear how he felt about me and the whole situation. He wanted nothing to do with me or Mason and I couldn't really blame him. We messed up. We broke his heart.

The silence that came next wasn't awkward, but comfortable. I closed my eyes after listening to Alexia explain the upcoming process of her using the ultrasound machine to see what was going on, if it would pick anything up. I gave her a detailed list of my symptoms and from her facial expressions, I had a feeling deep in the pit of my stomach that I knew exactly what was going to come next.

Recently, I'd been thinking about so many different things that I forgot to listen to my body and take time to rest. The exhaustion caught up with me pretty quickly. All I wanted to do was sleep. My socials had all been very quiet. Thankfully, the news of my split from Declan didn't go any further than that; no mention of me cheating on him with Mason was published anywhere. That was a relief. Declan knew about my mental health and how bad my anxiety could become. He wasn't a selfish person. He wouldn't do that to me.

--

I left the hospital half an hour later, feeling confused and almost dazed. I probably wasn't in the best state to drive but I dropped Mason off at Cobham earlier and was meant to be picking him up after training. Not wanting to be alone at his place - our place - I headed straight there in the hope that I would be allowed to watch the boys train.