sixteen

* the chapter you've all been waiting for! please engage as you read, and enjoy! <3 *

⋇⋆✦⋆⋇

Mason made me a warm mug of tea, and I sat in the kitchen with my legs dangling above the ground. I'd barely slept last night, despite having Mason by my side with his arm wrapped across my waist. He kept pulling me closer and kissing the nape of my neck. I couldn't stop thinking about Declan and how I'd lied to his face.

When there was a knock at the door, Mason left me alone in the kitchen with my tea and my thoughts. I felt down. Sad. My heart was aching and all I wanted was to sleep this whole thing away and avoid my problems - literally. If I wasn't close to Mason's side, I would probably have a meltdown over all of this. There was nobody else to blame but me for my mistakes and wrongdoings. I would never be able to forgive myself.

I couldn't hear any voices and I heard the front door close, so I only assumed that whoever visited had left without much to say. I took that as an opportunity to make my way to Mason with my own sanity in mind.

"Mason, who was at the door?" I shuffled my feet along the ceramic tiles, my fluffy socks causing me to slide across the floor with ease. "What did they-"

My mouth dried up when I saw Declan standing in the hallway. He looked completely clueless, and when he saw me, he turned white. Fuck. None of this was ever supposed to happen and his assumptions would simply be proven to be true.

"Oh, Declan," my cheeks turned red as I glanced down at my pyjamas. "It's you."

"What are you doing here?" His voice turned sour. I felt like I could be sick. Mason turned his head to look at me and I could see the sadness in his eyes. Now or never, I guess.

"She called me yesterday after your argument. I was at Cobham so I picked her up and brought her here," Mason shrugged his shoulders, coolly, and I was thankful that he took this question and didn't leave it to me. "Knew she needed someone. Didn't want her to be alone."

Mason's attitude shifted quickly. He knew that he was about to lose one of us, and we both knew exactly who it would be. He promised me that I came before Declan, although it was the cruelest thing he could ever do. That's what his heart wanted.

"I guess that's the full story then?" He was suspicious, and he had every right to be. He accused me of cheating, so there was obviously something which provoked him to begin thinking that way. Seeing me at his best friend's house in my pyjamas and treating the house like it was my own meant something. "You can tell me."

"I, uh... I-"

"So it's true then?" Declan looked at me, and I looked directly into his eyes. I could see his heart shattering into millions of pieces. I'd been unfaithful and there was no way I could cover it up now. I tried playing dumb, like I had no clue what he was on about, and I raised my eyebrow in confusion, hoping he would elaborate. "I know you know what I mean. I know you, Delilah. Why did you lie to me?"

"It's not what it looks like." Maybe this would just make it worse for Mason and I. Maybe denying it and dragging all of this out to make a massive deal would be worse for us. It should've never got this far. We should've been honest with Declan before this. I just avoided his question about lying like it was the plague. My heart was pounding.

"It's not what it looks like? It's not what it fucking looks like? Are you sure?" Declan retorted, scoffing as he folded his arms across his chest. He was fuming. We'd not admitted to anything and already, Declan was absolutely livid. He knew. "Because it looks like my girlfriend has been sleeping with my best friend behind my back. Sorry, my ex girlfriend."