15. The Story of Rosekook 2

{idol life, first love, angst, 97-liners}

I just wanna be the one,
but to you we're already done.
Tell me why'd you have to hit and run me,
now I'm all alone crying ugly.
⤝❁⤞

Chaeyoung always wondered what her first love would be like. Who would she devote all her love and affection to? When would she meet the one who never failed to make her heart flutter? How would her love story transpire? Would it be as beautiful and as memorable as she always envisioned?

Since she was a little girl, Chaeyoung held onto these wild notions about what love was. Everyone always made it seem like the ultimate goal in life. The path towards true happiness. It was supposed to be filled with shy looks, flushed cheeks, timid 'firsts', and constant smiles. It was supposed to make you feel all warm and gushy on the inside. Like you could do anything, say anything, be anything, because you knew you would have someone supporting you throughout all of life's greatest challenges. It was supposed to be magical.

So, when she first met Chanyeol, she let these thoughts overwhelm the more rational parts of her mind.

Chaeyoung had spent the majority of her trainee days avoiding men like the plague. She knew she would never make it as an idol if she became entangled in a relationship. Many of the other trainees had been kicked out of the program for that very reason. But Chaeyoung never took that risk. Other than a few male friends, she never associated with any other idols. She had a dream to fulfill, and she couldn't let anyone get in the way of that.

But after her debut, things changed. She realized, once she actually entered the industry that everyone was dating. It didn't matter whether you were a rookie or a senior artist, if you were good at hiding, you could easily be in a relationship. Even Chaeyoung's own groupmates had begun dating almost immediately post-debut.

Chanyeol was the first idol to show any interest in Chaeyoung, and like a truly naive, socially deprived rookie, she was flattered. Thankful, even, for his attention. As they practiced for their collaboration stage, he was polite and sweet, complimenting her guitar skills and holding doors open for her.

In a way, she thought she had met the perfect man. He was not only part of the biggest boy group at the time, but he also met all the criteria she was looking for. Charming, musically inclined, good-looking, sweet, good sense of humour, and tall. The fact that someone like him was interested in just a newbie like her made her feel special.

He asked for her number almost as soon as they had met. And since then, things escalated quickly.

It began just as Chaeyoung had always fantasized about. He swept her off her feet with sweet words, endless compliments, soft touches, and expensive gifts. By showing her the best sides of himself and inserting himself into all aspects of her life, she had no choice but to fall for him. And for a long time, she enjoyed it. But just as a flower withers with time, so did their relationship.

Chaeyoung had no idea what she was doing, but Chanyeol sure did. She had never been in a relationship before. That was her biggest flaw because it made her mouldable. It made her think everything Chanyeol said was the gospel truth, everything he did was exactly how all boyfriends were supposed to behave.

So, whenever he would not respond to her messages or ignore her calls, she would believe that he was truly busy. Every time he would leave her in bed in the middle of the night claiming he had work, it never occurred to her that he may have been lying. And when he spent weekend after weekend partying with his friends instead of seeing her, she thought he was just enjoying his free time. She never doubted his loyalty nor his intentions. Because, despite all the rumours and warnings, she didn't want to believe her first boyfriend was that type of person.