27. Friendsmas

{Christmas au, friends-to-lovers, fluff}

I just want you for my own,
more than you could ever know.
Make my wish come true.
All I want for Christmas is you.
⤝❁⤞

There was only one person Jungkook would do anything for. Only one person's phone call he would pick up at anytime, anywhere, no questions asked. It could be in the middle of the night; it could be at the earliest crack of dawn. Or in this case, it could even be right in the middle of sex.

"Shit, sorry," Jungkook said to the girl he had picked up at the annual college Christmas party, pulling his ringing phone out of his pocket just as she began pulling apart the buttons of his shirt.

Was her name Stephanie? Or Sophie? Maybe Samantha? He knew she was in one of his classes, but why couldn't he remember her name?

The pain in his temples along with his foggy memory told him he had way too much to drink. Perhaps partied a little too hard. But he had just completed another semester at UCLA and was more than halfway through finishing his degree in music. So, he liked to believe he deserved a little bit of fun.

But now, as he saw the caller ID on his phone, he felt momentarily sober. He began to pull away from the girl immediately, just as she began to kiss his neck. 

"Just leave it," she whined, pressing her bodacious, half-naked body right up against Jungkook's.

"It's Chaey," he said as a way of explanation, flashing her an apologetic smile and gently removing her hands from his waist to walk to the other corner of the room.

The girl groaned in frustration, rolled her eyes to the sky, and plopped down onto the bed. As annoyed as she was though, it almost seemed like she understood. Like those two words were all he needed to say to show her how important the call was. Because everyone in their college knew about Jungkook and Chaeyoung.

The two of them had been best friends since the first year of high school. When Jungkook's parents sent him abroad from Korea to study in New York and he knew no one, Chaeyoung was the first Korean person he met. She practically held his hand and guided him through the first rough year of school, teaching him English, speaking to him in Korean when he didn't understand, and showing him the different customs of American culture.

Without her, he would have never gotten into UCLA or turned into the hotshot athlete he had become. He probably wouldn't have even survived puberty. She was a beacon of light in his life and probably the best thing to ever happen to him.

"Hey, what's up?" He asked into the phone, nonchalant. As if he wasn't just about to have drunk sex with a stranger.

The first thing he heard was a sniffle and his concern level spiked uncontrollably.

"Is this a bad time?" she asked softly, and Jungkook was now certain she was crying.  "I know you're at the party and everything and I really didn't want to ruin your night—"

"Chaey, you know you can call me for absolutely anything. What's wrong? Why are you crying?" he asked.

"I'm not crying." Another sniffle.

"Liar. Tell me what's wrong. Whose ass do I need to kick?"

She sighed a sad little sigh that tugged at Jungkook's heart. On a normal day, Chaeyoung was probably the most cheerful, bubbly, happy person he knew. She rarely had anything negative to say about anything. And the odd time that she was sad, whether it be due to a breakup or a 'bad' grade or family issues, she never stayed down for long. She was an expert at controlling her emotions and taking care of herself, so the fact that she was reaching out to him for something made this situation seem even more serious.