2. ᴄʜᴇᴇʀ ᴜᴘ

{cheerleader/jock au, fluff, comedy}

I'm afraid my feelings will show,
Just come a little closer,
It won't be long,
Just get together and then baby cheer up.
⤝❁⤞

Cheerleading practice was either rough and painful or fun and exhilarating. There was no in between.

For Chaeyoung, who was one of the top flyers on their college team, she loved the dry runs and routine rehearsals. These were the days that everyone on the squad, whether they were flyers, tumblers, or in charge of stunts, would always bring 100% of their energy. Like a well-oiled machine, everyone played their part as seriously as if they were performing in front of hundreds of people. That was when Chaeyoung truly felt the cohesiveness of the team.

But on conditioning days, like today, all they would do was run through dozens of exercise drills for hours and hours until their muscles burned and sweat drenched through every fibre of their clothing. Their coach, Minzy, put them through hell and back during these practice sessions, claiming it was strengthening them. Chaeyoung, as co-captain of the squad, understood the logic behind strengthening and usually never complained. But on especially rough days like this one where they were practicing outside in brisk, late autumn weather while the men's soccer team practiced right in front of them, Chaeyoung was convinced Coach Minzy simply wanted to torture them.

"I swear she's doing this on purpose," Lisa, the other captain of the squad and Chaeyoung's best friend, muttered to her as they ran another lap around the soccer field. "She knows we look like trash after these vigorous exercises and she wants that to be on full display to all these beautiful men, so they won't be attracted to us. The less relationship drama to distract us the better."

"Some of them aren't attracted to us regardless of how we look," Chaeyoung said in between rapid breaths, only a hint of bitterness in her words as her eyes trailed after the star player and captain of the men's soccer team: Jeon Jungkook.

He had the natural build of an athlete, with muscled arms, a lean torso, and strong, thick thighs. To draw attention to all these assets, he was wearing a white t-shirt and long royal blue-and gold shorts. As he jogged across the field with his teammates, Chaeyoung could practically see all his muscles moving with him.

His black, slightly curly hair was mostly pulled up into a little bun on the crown of his head, only a few strands falling out the front to frame his well-structured face. On anyone else, the hair might have looked boyish or cute, but on Jungkook – holy shit, it was hot. Especially since it exposed the rest of his beautiful face. From his sparkling doe eyes, to his high nose, bowed lips, and chiselled jawline, he was by far the most attractive man to ever walk through their college campus.

Lisa gave her an empathetic side-glance when she realized who had caught her eye. "Still pining over Jungkook?"

"When am I not?" Chaeyoung sighed, forcing herself to tear her gaze away just as they started their last lap. "Too bad he won't even look at me."

"It's not just you, Chaeng," Lisa said softly, trying to be helpful. "He won't look at any of us. He has a rule, remember? He doesn't date cheerleaders."

Ahh yes, the rule. How could she ever forget.

At this school, Jungkook's dating rule was so well-known that some had begun to call it Jungkook's first law. As if he was comparable to Newton. According to the literature (which was mostly just gossip tweets from his fellow soccer players), Jungkook did not so much as engage with, befriend, or go out with any cheerleader. No matter which college, which country, what they looked like, what kind of personalities they had, he was simply not interested. Further studies (which was just locker room talk between the cheerleading squad) suggested that he may have dated a cheerleader in the past and was so heartbroken by it that he wrote off cheerleaders for the rest of his life.