Chapter 30

THE WITCHFINDER

"I'll reason my father," Arthur said as he put his hands over Eowyn's which were on the bars of the cell.

The guards just brought Eowyn to the dungeons. Arthur clearly ordered them to not be rough and tough with her or else they would be in serious problems. Eowyn was moved by Arthur. He was clearly worried, even guilt of what was happening.

"It's okay," Eowyn reassuringly smiled. She knew Uther wouldn't listen to anything nor no one when it came to witchcraft and wizardry. The King was blinded by fear and hatred. "Besides, I'm used to be in a cell," she joked, referring to the time she was held captive by those bandits.

"It shouldn't become a thing then," Arthur followed along, making Eowyn giggled which made his heart flustered. "I won't let anything happen to you," he softly added.

Eowyn softly smiled then looked down.

He only says that because he thinks I'm human, she thought.

"You were gone quite a long time," Arthur tried to act casual by starting a random conversation. Eowyn only smirked.

"Five days. It's not that long," she said, amused.

"It's almost a week," Arthur pointed out.

"But not a year," she chuckled. She didn't he had missed her so much. Actually, she had no idea how much he had missed her. To Arthur, it was so strange to not see Eowyn around. He was so used to her pleasant company he felt a void when she wasn't there. That was why he was bothering Merlin so much by asking him when his sister would be back.

"I just spent my birthday with my mom," Eowyn said.

"It was your birthday?" Arthur asked, taken aback. Eowyn only giggled and nodded. "I didn't know," he then muttered.

"Merlin didn't tell you? Why did you think I left?"

"Well... I don't know... to save people? Because you're a physician?" He said, not specifying the fact the thought she would be going on a quest to find Lancelot crossed his mind.

Eowyn chuckled, amused, before a guard arrived.

"Sir, the search has started," he informed Arthur.

The smile on Eowyn's lips faded. She knew they would find nothing but she still had a bad feeling. She knew Aredian had something in mind.

Arthur turned to Eowyn. He softly smiled at her and gently squeezed her hand, as if to show support.

"I gotta go. But I'll be right back," he said.

Eowyn nodded as she watched him leave the dungeons.

She didn't know how long she stayed there. Eventually, Morgana and Gwen visited Eowyn and stayed with her to keep her company. They knew their friends weren't guilty of sorcery. During their time together, Eowyn learned from her two friends that King Uther got briefly married with a troll. It was more than shocking but the explanation quickly followed. The King was in fact enchanted. Eowyn would have paid to see the events.

After a moment, both Morgana and Gwen had to leave. But soon after, footsteps could be heard. Eowyn slightly smiled seeing Arthur coming back and opening her cell. But her smiled faded when she noticed his grave expression. Eowyn frowned.

"What happened?" she asked, stepping out if the cell.

Arthur looked at her a few second then sighed. He seemed bothered, preocupied. But he just took her hand in his and led her out from the dungeons.