Chapter 3

VIALIANT

"I have always been amazed by the fact that just with flowers and some other elements, we are able to cure some diseases," Eowyn said, reading another book about plants and their properties.

"Plants are not only beautiful but are also very useful," Gaius said as he was making a potion. "What do you know about science, Eowyn?" the physician asked, wanting to know the level of her apprentice.

"Everything I could learn," she said, not looking away from the book. She was now studying schemas of plants. "Anatomy, astronomy, arithmetic, geometry, I also studied medicine,"

"It's quite impressive, my child," Gaius complimented, smiling at her. She looked up at him too, smiling.

"I have always been curious and eager to learn. So expect me to ask you a lot of questions," she chuckled as Gaius' smile grew wider. He was happy to see her so eager to learn. He would take great pleasure to teach him everything he knew. Then, the door opened and both Gaius and Eowyn turned to see Merlin entering the chambers. He seemed shocked and lost as he walked, dropping some part of his armour. Eowyn couldn't help but chuckle at the sad state of her brother.

"So, how was your first day as Arthur's servant?" Gaius asked. Merlin tapped his head, still looking lost.

"Do you hear clanging?" he asked. Eowyn stood up and walked to him. She helped him reloving the last part of his armour. He then sat on a chair as she massaged his shoulder, trying to relax him.

"Ah! It was horrible and I've still got to learn all about tournament etiquette by the morning," Merlin complained, making Eowyn chuckled. It couldn' be that bad, could it? "Onhríne achtung bregdan," he said and the book that was at the other side of the table started to float and made its way toward him. Gaius then slapped the back of Merlin's head.

"What've I told you about using magic like this?" he scolded.

"If I could actually feel my arms, I'd pick up the book myself," Merlin said.

"Don't be so dramatic," Eowyn said, making Merlin scoff.

"If you want to take my place as Arthur's servant then sure, go on," Eowyn grimaced at the idea. Being Arthur's servant? Handling his rude behaviour every day? No, thanks.

"I'm sure that if Merlin could have feel his arms, he'd pick up the book himself," she said, siding with Merlin making him laugh and Gaius sighed.

"Never mind his arms. What do I do if you get caught?" Gaius said.

"What would you do?" Merlin asked instead.

"Well, you just make sure it doesn't happen, for our sakes,"

"Ah! I save Arthur from being killed and I end up as a servant. How is that fair?" he complained making Eowyn chuckled. She was quite agreed with him. If people saw honour in serving the Prince, she just saw being someone's slave. Couldn't noble people do things by themselves?

"I'm not sure fairness comes into it. You never know, it might be fun," Gaius said but Merlin scoffed.

"You think mucking out Arthur's horses is going to be fun? You should hear my list of duties,"

"We all have our duties. Even Arthur,"

"It must be so tough for him with all the girls and the glory," Merlin said sarcastically.

"And living a castle with hundreds and hundreds of rooms," Eowyn sarcastically added too. Even though Merlin and Eowyn were different, sometimes, they were very similar.