Chapter 15

THE MOMENT OF TRUTH

"Gaius, do you know what a sylphide is?" Eowyn asked her guardian as she took a bite of her bread. Merlin had left earlier in the morning to collect water. Gaius was, as the usual, doing some experiment. Eowyn didn't find the time to ask Gaius about her dreams and sylphides because of the wraight. So she took the time now. Gaius looked up from his vial, frowning at Eowyn.

"How do you know them?" he asked, quite surprised. Eowyn quickly thought of a lie to tell.

"I read about them somewhere and I got curious," she lied as Gaius put away his vial and walked to sit across Eowyn.

"They are known as children of the air," Gaius explained. "But there's not much about them,"

"What do you mean?" Eowyn questioned, confused. Why there was nothing about sylphides? Why were they so mysterious? So secretive?

"Books said that they are very rare. Not many people had encountered a sylph or a sylphide," he explained as Eowyn nodded in understanding. Sylphs seemed to be discreet and knew how to hide. That must be why there was nothing written about them. But that wasn't helping Eowyn to not who she was. It was actually complicating things. "They are mentioned in a few books but that's all,"

"Does it say they had strange dreams?" Eowyn questioned again.

"Not that I know," Gaius shooked his head. Eowyn sighed and took another bite of her bread. Her quest to know who she was wasn't easy at all. It was actually very messy. She didn't even know where to start. No books could help her and the great dragon didn't want to tell her. And according to what Gaius said, sylphs were very discreet and secretive. Almost impossible to find. So how could she find out her origins? "I'm sorry I cannot help you more," Gaius had noticed how Eowyn read more books about magical beings recently. He noticed how troubled she seemed lately. The physician had suspected it would be about who she really was. She had reached a time in her life where she tries to search herself. But how she was supposed to do that when she didn't even know her origins. She wanted to know where she comes from.

"You don't have to be sorry for anything, Gaius," Eowyn reassured with a smiled. "You helped me, even a little,"

"What do you see in your dreams?" Gaius asked, wanted to help his ward.

"I don't really know. It's always blurry and muffled. At first, I saw a woman, a man and a baby, then it changed and it was darker and scarier," Eowyn explained, recalling her dreams. She didn't even understand the correlation between the dreams. She didn't even understand how it went from a soft dream to a dark one. It changed so suddenly.

"Is it always the same dreams?" Gaius asked and Eowyn nodded, making the physician frown. "You don't seem to be a seer. I don't think you see the future,"

"Then what is it?" Eowyn asked, desperate.

"It may be the past," Gaius said, making Eowyn frowned.

"You think... It's memories?"

"It may be," Gaius said, not certain. But how could it be possible? Eowyn arrived in Ealdor when she was weeks old. The people she saw... Could it be her biological parents? "It may be a power only sylphs and sylphides possess," the answers she got brought even more questions now. One door opened but behind it, there were dozens of others. And she didn't have the keys of any. She felt like it would take time before she discovers her origins. Eowyn was lost in her thoughts when someone knocked on the door of the physician's room.

"Eowyn, Gaius, your presence is required in the throne room," a guard said. Eowyn looked confusedly at Gaius before they both stood up and walked out of the chambers. She couldn't help but be worried about the reason why she was called in the throne room. Did the King know she was a magical being? No, he wouldn't be so kind. Guards would have burst into the chambers to drag her in the dungeons. Besides, Gaius was also called. It may be for a scientific opinion? But since she was just an apprentice, only Gaius would have been called and Eowyn would have followed him. And the guard called her first. That meant that she was the principal concern. And nothing was done lightly. Or maybe she was just overanalyzing and overthinking things. She did that a lot.