Chapter 34

QUEST

Eowyn and Ulric set up a camp. Doing so they had properly introduced themselves. The night was covering the place with a coat of darkness. The only source of light was the fire Ulric had lit up. The young sylphide sat against the trunk of a tree, covered with a blanket. She staring at the blazes dancing in the air. Her mind slowly drifted off away.

Before she met Odhran a year ago, she had never heard of Usad. She didn't even know Camelot or Cenred had a dominion within their lands. She realized she still had a lot to discover, to uncover. And the more the days passed, the more she realized how vile and perfidious Uther really was. Usad was an ally and he didn't hesitate to attack them because they were allowing magic. The worst was now that Eowyn knew the reason for his hatred for magic. His own guilt. Uther murdered his ally because he used magic which resulted in the death of his wife. So instead of blaming himself, he blamed every other magical being, regardless of what they had ever done for him, regardless of who they were for him. Eowyn wasn't surprised, after all, he didn't stand for Gaius when the Witchfinder accused him. And Gaius was Uther's long-time friend. But each time the sylphide learn something about this blood-thirsty king, she couldn't help but be shocked. And the more she learned about him, the more she didn't want to come back to Camelot.

Eowyn shook the thought away. It was still too soon to make a decision. First, she needed to accomplish her quest. She needed to find Alfheim, and then find who she was. Her only clue was a white and majestuous castle. But that was before she met Ulric. He seemed to know a lot about Norse Mythology. He said Usad taught it in their lands. Maybe she could find something there? Maybe she should stick with Ulric? It was better than going blindly to places.

"Sir Ulric," Eowyn called. The knight turned to her.

"Ulric is fine," he smiled. Eowyn nodded.

"You said you were from Usad, right?" She asked for confirmation.

"Indeed. I was sent to the Royal City for a yearly check-in of the relationship between Usad and Camelot," he informed. Eowyn thought it was a shame that she hadn't met him before. "Now I'm going back to my homeland,"

"Can I... uh, is it bothering if I come with you?" Eowyn asked, shyly. Ulric slightly tilted his head on the side, wondering why. "I'm looking for something and Norse Mythology is my only lead. So...,"

"Well, I don't mind you coming. I just hope you'll enjoy my homeland," he genuinely smiled. "You should sleep. We have a long way to go,"

Ulric and Eowyn traveled for almost a week. Usad was at the farthest border from the Royal City. It was the longest travel Eowyn ever had, but she didn't mind at all. It allowed her to see more landscapes, to learn more about the beauty of the kingdom. The trees, flowers, animals, or Nature, in general, were just breathtaking. Eowyn always felt a deep connection to it. She wondered if it was because of what she was, a sylphide. After all, she could control wind at her will.

This long travel also allowed her to know more about Ulric. He was a very kind and considerate knight. Righteous and fair. He was the general of the Usadian Army. He was young for the job, but it told Eowyn he must be really good at sword-wielding. Ulric was also the son of the Minister of Usad. The latter was in charge of ruling the state as there was no Queen or King left. Ulric seemed to still hold a grudge against Camelot for that. Eowyn couldn't blame him. If your rulers were killed by your allies, the one you trusted, and that those same people took over your kingdom, yeah, she would be very bitter about that even years after it happened.

"Are there no descendants of the crown left?" Eowyn asked. They were riding their horses to Usad.

Ulric didn't answer immediately. He seemed lost in his thoughts.