Chapter 4

VIALIANT

The next day of tournament, both Valiant and Arthur had won their fights, which meant that they would be fighting each other for the final. That also meant that Valiant would be using his shield on Arthur. Gaius, Merlin and Eowyn had agreed that they had to do something. Not just for Arthur but for the kingdom and beyond. Letting Valiant using this shield was too dangerous. And in wrong hands, Eowyn didn't even want to image what could happen. Since they had no proof, they needed witnesses. So they had to find a way to cure Sir Ewan so he could tell the King what truly happened. Uther would believe one of his knight. But to be possible, they have to have an extract of the venom.

Eowyn was sitting next to Sir Ewan. She was whipping the sweat off his forehead with a wet and cold cloth. His state worsened. If they don't get the antidote soon, he will die. At the same moment, the door burst opened and Merlin entered the room, saying that "he got it". In his hand, Eowyn noticed that he was holding the head of a snake. She quickly stood up, putting the cloth away and walked toward Gaius as Merlin gave the snake to the physician. Gaius took a vial and pressed the snake's mouth onto it. The venom slowly dropped into the glass bottle. Eowyn was relieved to know that Sir Ewan would live. Now, they had a chance to show to the world who Sir Valiant really was.

"I'll get started preparing the antidote," Gaius said.

"I'll help you," Eowyn said starting to get everything Gaius needed. He had told her earlier all the elements he needed to prepare the cure.

"I'm going to tell Arthur," Merlin said, starting to walk away.

"Wait!" Eowyn said, making her brother turning toward her. "You'll need this," she handed him the snake head and Merlin took it.

"And Merlin, what you did was very brave," Gaius complimented, making Merlin smile as he left.

Eowyn watched Gaius preparing the antidote. He explained her step to step what he was doing and why he was doing it. Eowyn was nodding at everything he said, printing the steps in her mind, so one day, she would be able to help someone poisoned if needed - but she hoped that that day would never come. After a few minutes, Gaius finished the antidote and they immediately gave it to Sir Ewan. It would take some time before he would wake up but now, he was out of danger.

After a moment, Sir Ewan started to stir into his sleep. Eowyn that wasn't far away, stood up and come closer to head, sitting on the chair next to his bed. Gaius was already sat on a chair next to him. She smiled when she saw Sir Ewan finally awakening.

"Welcome back," Eowyn smiled. Sir Ewan took a second to realized where he was an what happened.

"There was a snake on his shield. It came alive," the knight said ad he tried to stood up but Gaius stopped him.

"You're weak. The snake's venom is still in your system," the physician said.

"I must warn Arthur," Ewan said.

"The Prince already knows," Eowyn reassured. "He's requested an audience with the King. Now, they'll want to talk to you. Rest. You'll need your strength,"

"We need to fetch more herbs. We'll be right back," Gaius said as both Eowyn and Gaius stood up and leave. When they both arrived at the market, Gaius and Eowyn split in two. I would be faster. After a moment, Eowyn had finished collecting what she needed. She waited for Gaius near the castle entrance. After a few minutes, her guardian finally arrived and they made their way back to the chambers, talking about the fact that it was a relief that Sir Valiant wouldn't be able to use his shield now. But they didn't know how wrong they were. When Eowyn entered the room, she knew something was wrong. The air around Sir Ewan was strange, there was something unusual. She put her basket full of herbs on the table and took walked toward Sir Ewan. But when she saw him not moving a millimetre, she knew something had happened.