Chapter 17

THE MOMENT OF TRUTH

°

Eowyn was at home with her mother, Morgana and Gwen. Arthur and Merlin at a meeting with the men of Ealdor, talking about the upcoming battle. Just like Eowyn, Morgana and Gwen wanted to fight. Hunith too. They didn't want to hide and let the others fight when they could too. And they knew every woman in Ealdor thought the same. The women were talking about the upcoming battles, sharing their thoughts and worries when a scream resonated in the entire village. They all shared a look before rushing out of the house. Eowyn saw a crowd of people and toward them, the others close behind her. She made her way to the front row and saw a villager, Matthew, on the floor with an arrow through his body. Matthew was supposed to keep an eye out for Kanen and his men and tell Arthur if there was any sign of attack. But it seemed that Kanen had him first.

"What does it say?" Merlin asked, referring to the note on the arrow. Arthur took it and read it.

"Make the most of this day, it will be your last." The Prince read. A woman then appeared, crying out for Matthew. It was his fancé. They were supposed to get married in a few months. It broke Eowyn's heart knowing that it wouldn't happen now.

"You did this! Look what you've done! You've killed him!" Will exclaimed, blaming Arthur, as he made his way to the front row.

"It wasn't his fault," Eowyn defended. Arthur was trying to help them, he was fighting for them.

"If he hadn't been strutting around, treating us like his own personal army, this would never have happened!" Will blamed again.

"These men are brave enough to fight for what they believe in, even if you aren't!" Arthur said. He trusted them.

"You're sending them to their graves!" Will exclaimed. "You killed one man. How many more need to die before you realise this a battle that can't be won? When Kanen comes, you haven't got a chance. You're gonna be slaughtered," he added before leaving. Eowyn glanced at Arthur before running after Will. Merlin had told her about their conversation in the woods. Will wanted Merlin and Eowyn to use their magic against Kanen. It that way, the problem would be solved. No one would have to fight. And there were somethings true in what he said. But neither Merlin nor Eowyn was sure if they could defeat Kanen alone. Yes, they had magic, but was it enough?

Eowyn followed Will. He went back home and went she entered, she saw him packing. He wanted to leave the village.

"Don't bother, Eowyn. I'm not interested," he said, not even looking at her, and kept packing.

"So you're leaving? Just like that?" Eowyn asked.

"And you should come with me," Will said, finally at her. "If we leave, we'll be safe," Will always had a special place for Eowyn. He cared a lot for her, more than just a friend. He didn't want to see her hurt but deep down, he knew he couldn't convince her of leaving.

"You know I can't do that," Eowyn said, shaking her head as she walked closer to him. "Kanen is coming. We cannot let him run our village as his wishes. Ealdor is our home, not his! We have to fight," she tried to convince him.

"Not if I'm not here," Will said, starting packing again.

"Your entire life his here. Your home, your friends. You're ready to abandon everything?"

"What, like you did?" he bitterly asked and Eowyn sucked in her breath.

"I'm here now. And I'm going to fight for the village, for what is right," Eowyn declared, determined.

"Yeah. Yeah, you are," he scoffed. "And you could end this. If you and Merlin used your magic, then no one else would have to die,"

"This is not that simple,"