Gush

In the kitchen, there isn't a single glass in sight. I throw caution to the wind and decide that tonight, we drink out of the bottle.
It's hardly been an hour and I'm already two bottles down. Some guy tells a joke and I laugh obnoxiously loud. It's only when I notice that everyone else around us wasn't laughing do I realise he wasn't joking about his nan running off with the local pastor. "Oops" I blurt out and then burst out laughing again, not being able to contain it any longer. This time, everyone in our corner starts laughing as well.
"I'm sorryyyyyyyyyyyy" I say while I cling onto his arm.
"It's alright, I don't blame ya, I suppose if you think about it, it is rather funny innit" he says, cracking up again.

You know what isn't funny though? The ungodly amount of wine I've just consumed, making its way up my oesophagus. Both my hands instinctively make their way to my mouth and I run to the bathroom. I lock the door behind me and stick my head in the bowl just in time for the stream of red wine to come pouring out of me. I hear the shower curtain pull back next to me and I hear a familiar voice saying, "we have to stop meeting like this". I'm too mortified to look at the person the voice belonged to and I heave a second time. He laughs and I hear him get out of the tub, and before I can say anything, I feel his gentle hands stroke my back, rhythmically.
We sat there for ages, him not saying a word and me heaving occasionally. I rest my head on the bowl, still too embarrassed to look at him. He senses the tension and starts humming a tune softly.