Homecoming

I watched as he walked away, his tall frame disappearing into the crowd. I guess it would have to wait.

I sigh and turn back to the suite, making my way to the bar for a refill.
I felt a bit foolish for wanting closure over something that transpired in high school.

And we were friends, after all. Less than friends at that point. And I had to remind myself that I was here with somebody else— Noah.

When I reach the bar, I signal to the bartender for a refill. As I waited for my drink, I looked around the room, taking in the scene. People were dancing, laughing, and having a good time. But I couldn't seem to shake the uneasy feeling that had settled in my stomach.

I spot Ross in the half empty kitchen, taking the last bite of his burrito and walk over to him with my drink.

"Hello stranger" I say, sitting down beside him.
"Hello beautiful" he grins with his mouth full. "Are you having any fun?"
"It's... different" I say.
"Well, it does take some getting used to" he nods in agreement.

I turn my head as Adam takes a seat beside me at the small dining table. The bulb hanging above us flickers slightly, casting a warm glow on our faces.

"So what's it like being a reporter for the New Yorker?" He asks.
Im taken aback for a moment, surprised that he knows I work there. "Oh, uh, it's going well. Busy but exciting," I reply with a smile.
Adam grins. "I've been keeping up with your work. Gripping stuff."
I feel a sense of pride and gratitude wash over me.

Ross chimes in, "Yeah, I especially liked your story on the rise of hip-hop in the South Bronx. That was an interesting read"
"You guys," I say, my voice catching in my throat, feeling rather emotional that they've cared enough to keep up with me. "You're gonna make me cry."

Ross leans forward, his interest piqued. "Do you ever feel nervous when interviewing people?"
"Of course I do! But I remind myself to approach them with respect and curiosity."

As we continued our conversation, George suddenly appears in the kitchen, taking up the last available chair at the table. He looks at us with a cheeky grin and says, "Alright, what's the gossip?"
"We were just gabbing about my job. It's whatever" I say nonchalantly, gesturing with my hand.

"Oh, loved your latest story by the way" he says taking a sip of his beer. "The history of hip hop is incredibly layered, with so many different perspectives of how it started and who played a role in its development." He pauses to take another sip before continuing, "But I think you did justice to the people you were writing about- the artists, the DJs, the dancers, the community members who were all a part of this movement."

I stare in disbelief. "When did you get so smart?" I ask, genuinely baffled.
"Oh you know," he says between beer burps. "I may have picked up a book or two"
We all laugh at his response.

"So you guys keep up with my work, huh?"
"Of course we do. Can't have our girl slacking off, can we?" he winks at me.

"Well, I gotta admit something. I haven't been able to listen to any of your music," I confess, looking down at the table.
Adam, Ross, and George exchange a look of surprise.
"Really?" Ross asks.
I nod. "After what happened the last time I saw you guys, it's been..." I trail off, struggling to articulate my feelings.
"It's just that I can't bear to hear Matty's voice. What happened that night on the roof is etched in my brain" I finally admit.

The boys nod in understanding.
"Yeah that was fucked up," he says sympathetically taking a sip.
"I know," I sigh. "But it's been years, and I wish I could move on completely. It's like I'm stuck in this weird limbo."
Adam reaches out and places a comforting hand on my arm. "It's okay, T. We're here for you," he reassures me.
George adds, "Yeah, and we're still proper proud of you. You're living your truth, and that's all that matters... Even if that truth is that you can't stand the sound of Matty's voice."
The other boys chuckle at his remark, and I playfully roll my eyes. "If only he sounded half as good as you, George," I reply with a smirk.

"Speaking of which," Adam interjects with a sigh, "Sophie and I called it quits. It happened, oh, about a year or so after graduation"
George jumps in, "Yeah, Lacy and I also decided to go our separate ways right after high school."
I couldn't help but stifle a laugh, "Actually, fellas, I'm already privy to that information. Lace, Soph and I... we never really stopped being friends." My cheeks flush with a hint of embarrassment.

Their expressions shift from surprise to curiosity.
"Really?" Adam asks, clearly caught off guard.
I nod my head, "Yeah, I talk to them quite often. We're bonded for life."
George chimes in, "Oi, Trinity, you're still talking to my ex but never bothered to hit me up?" he exclaims feigning hurt.
I roll my eyes and laugh at his antics, "Oh George, you know you're always on my mind."

As the conversation resumes, I catch a glimpse of Matty standing near the kitchen archway with his hands in his pockets. The mood at the table becomes noticeably tense, and everyone falls silent for a few moments. I fidget in my seat, feeling the awkwardness in the air.

George, sensing the tension, decides to lighten the mood. "Well, well, well, look who decided to grace us with his presence. You couldn't even bring a chair for yourself, mate?" he teases.
Matty laughs, relieved that the ice had been broken. "Sorry about that guys, I didn't mean to interrupt," he says, looking around the table for a spare seat.

Noah stumbles into the kitchen just then, reeking of alcohol. He seems to be completely intoxicated. I notice he's looking around the room as if searching for something. Suddenly, his eyes light up when he sees the rest of us sitting around the table.

"Hey guys! What's going on?" he slurs, stumbling over to the table. "Why's there no chair for me?" he asks, looking under the table.
Before anyone can say anything, 6 foot tall Noah plops down onto my lap. I'm caught off guard, but I manage to keep my balance. Everyone else at the table bursts out laughing, finding the whole situation amusing.
"Hey there, buddy," I say to Noah, trying to keep him from falling off me. "You doing okay?" His weight was crushing, but it wasn't unbearable.
Noah just grins and slurs something unintelligible in response.
Meanwhile, Matty is fuming. I can feel the tension radiating off of him.

"Get off her, man," Matty growls, his voice low and menacing. "You're hurting her."
Noah looks up at him, a confused expression on his face. "What's your problem, bro? he asks standing up. "I'm just having a good time."

George steps forward and stands in between them. He stretches out his arm and places it gently against Matty's chest, his voice calm and measured as he speaks. "Matty, mate, chill out. He's just messing around." His words are firm but non confrontational, and his easy-going demeanour seems to have a calming effect.

I, along with the rest of the group watch as Matty storms off without a word. I take note of the fact that the Matty I once knew in high school would have let his emotions get the best of him and possibly become aggressive.
But as I watched him go, I felt a mixture of sympathy and sadness. I had been having such a good time before his outburst.

I take a deep breath and turn to the group.
"Maybe Noah and I should head out," I say, feeling a bit overwhelmed.
George looks at me with concern. "Are you sure, T? We don't want you to feel like you have to leave because of Matty. He's just in one of his moods."
"Yeah, we don't want to ruin the party for everybody" Noah says, sounding completely sobered up.
Adam and Ross get up from their seats. "Come on," Ross says. "Don't go just yet. We're all still having fun."

I hesitate, unsure of what to do.
George noticed my indecision and puts his hand on my shoulder. "It's up to you" he smiles down to me.

I consider their words for a moment before nodding. "Okay, I'll stay. But I'm leaving if things get weird again."
George grins. "Deal. Let's get back to the party!"

As we make our way back to the main party area, I can feel Matty's absence hanging in the air. But the boys try their best to keep the energy up, and soon enough, we're all laughing and dancing together once again.