Firsts

As we sat there in the parking lot of Mil's Burgers and Shakes, Charlie spoke about his parents getting called to school and how even though his father offered to make a 'generous donation' in his name, he was still getting expelled since Aidan's parents were threatening to press charges. I sat there shocked, not knowing how to process this.
"So what does this mean?" I say, a bit stunned. I mean I wasn't in love with the guy but I cared about him, on account of him being the only consistent person in my life so far.
"My family's moving back to America this week. My dad says college is nothing but a stepping stone to getting a job, and since he's asked me to work under him, I can skip that step entirely" he says meekly. This was the first time I'd seen Lee this resigned. He usually isn't one to go down without a fight.
"And how do you feel about this?" I ask
"I don't think I have a choice, honestly", pause, "actually no, this is great. I get a head start at life and eventually, I'll be taking over the company. College is dumb anyway." He shrugs "and besides, it was totally worth it. You're my favourite girl after all" he smiles and pinches my cheek.
"Why do you like me Lee? I see you with the other girls and I'm not mad; I just wanna know, why are you so persistent on playing girlfriend/boyfriend with me" I blurt out. I've never had it in me to confront him regarding this before, but at this point in my life, I had to know once and for all.
"I love you, T. And although I may not be in love with you," he admits for the first time, "I truly do love you. You are my first and only friend. Jesus, you even stuck by me in my chubby years" he throws his hands in the air and we both laugh.
"Well I do love you too, for the record"
"Wow that's the first time you've said that to me"
"Well don't make it a habit" I say rolling my eyes and he nudges me playfully
"No but for real, like it or not, we are attached by means unknown."
"By unknown means, you mean our fathers?" I joke
"I'm trying to be romantic here" he chuckles. "I like to think we would've been lifelong friends regardless of whether or not our fathers worked together."
I let out a high-pitched "Wellllllll......."
"I hate you, you know that?" he bares his teeth at me and laughs. "Well tough, because they are working together and there's no getting rid of me now, so deal with it."
I groan jokingly to take a jab at him and he says "Don't worry, I'll be gone in a few days and you'll be free to meet people you choose to be with instead of being with some guy the universe chose for you." I know he meant this as a joke, but he sounded genuinely hurt.
"Aw Lee come here" I say pulling him into my arms "you know I'm not good at expressing my feeeelings. You were there for me in my darkest days and I will never forget that. And stop with the sad speech, it's not like we're never seeing each other again. Who knows, I might even go to college in America."
"Are you going to be okay?"
"Well there's only 1 more semester left before I graduate. I think I'll be fine. Plus, there's this boy I've been talking to..."
"You gotta be fucking kidding me. It's that skinny kid isn't it" Charlie yells, tearing himself off me.
"So what if it is?" I ask defensively.
"He's a junkie! Did you know that? Now tell me Trinity, if there ever comes a time where he'd have to choose between you and his vices, what do you think he'd pick?"
"I want to go home" is all I say
"I'm just saying, because I don't wanna see you get hurt"
"I said I want to go home"
"Fine, be that way"