Old Flames

When the elevator doors open to the luxurious penthouse suite, I am immediately overwhelmed by the sheer amount of people packed into the room. The music was blaring and the air was electric.
I scan the room, taking in the extravagance of it all. The furniture is modern and expensive-looking, the art on the walls is abstract and colourful, and the drinks being served are top-shelf

Everywhere I looked, there were people dressed to the nines. Among them, I spot some familiar faces- famous musicians and models, doing blow on the glass table next to the piano.
I watched as two topless girls sat on a plush chaise lounge, their lips interlocked. The room around them was dimly lit, the only source of light coming from the flashes of countless phone cameras.
As they made out, the crowd around them cheered.
The whole room was pulsing with an undercurrent of desire.

I'm in trouble.

George heads straight to the bar. He was clearly thirsty and eager to get a drink in his hand. Adam spots a group of people who seemed to be his friends. He darts over to them and starts chatting animatedly. I couldn't hear what they were saying, but Adam looked happy and relaxed in their company. Ross, on the other hand, seemed to have something else on his mind. He headed straight to the kitchen and started rummaging through the cupboards. After a minute or so, he found what he was looking for- a burrito. He popped it in the microwave and leaned against the counter while he waited for it to heat up.
"This is insane!" Noah exclaims, looking around. "I can't believe we're actually here."
Matty takes a step closer to me, his hand lightly brushing against my arm.
"That dress is stunning," he says, his eyes fixed on me. He takes another step closer and slightly raises the skirt of my dress, playing with the fabric between his fingers.
"Is this silk?" He asks.
"Satin" is all I manage to say.
Noah interrupts our exchange, pulling me out of my trance.
"Bro, is it cool if I take one of these home?" He asks Matty excitedly, picking up a shirt from the bowl of merch next to the fireplace.
"Have at it, man" he says.

Just then, I notice Matty signal to George with a subtle nod of his head. George looks over and nods back, understanding what Matty was implying.
He walks over to us and drapes a friendly arm around Noah's shoulder.
"So T tells me you're a mad lad on the guitar" George says, smirking at me.
I never said that. I didn't even know he knew how to play.
Noah, never one to shy away from a humble brag, replied, "I mean sure, I dabble, from time to time."
Without missing a beat, George suggested, "Let's go check out the guitar over there," and began to lead Noah away to the opposite side of the room.

Matty turns his attention back to me.
"Sorry about that," he says with contained laughter, "I just wanted a little alone time with you."
"Oh. Okay" I say, coldly.
I notice his eyes searching mine just then. He takes a deep breath and looks at me.
"I have to ask," he sighs. "Are you and knobhead over there serious?", his tone laced with curiosity.
I hesitate for a moment, unsure of what to say. "We've only been on one date," I reply, with hardly any emotion.
Matty's face breaks into a smile and he reaches out to gently touch my arm. "That's great to hear," he says, and I can feel my heart race a little faster.
I could've said anything else, I think to myself. I could've said that I really liked Noah, and that even though these were early days, I saw potential. But instead, all that came out of me was a half-truth.

He takes my hand and leads me towards the balcony. "I want to show you something," he says, his voice low and husky.

As we step outside, a crisp breeze brushes against my skin. It was a welcome change from the warm and lively climate inside. There were a few people standing around, chatting and smoking. But as soon as they caught sight of Matty, they fell silent and exchanged knowing looks. I could sense their deference towards him, and it was clear that they respected him. It was obvious that he was the one in charge, and they were just happy to be a part of his world, if only for a night. With a quick nod from him, they scattered like leaves in the wind, leaving us alone with our thoughts and the night sky.

Matty leans against the railing, and the moonlight illuminates his features in a way that could make a poet weep. Beyond us, the night sky stretches out, a canvas of twinkling stars that seem to go on forever. And far below, the city hums with life, the sound of cars and people blending together in a symphony of urban chaos.

He turns to face me, and there's a glint in his eyes that catches my attention. "I'm just gonna come out and say it, Trinity—" he starts before pausing abruptly.

He flags down a passer-by and asks for two beers. The guy eagerly obliges, and within minutes, he returns with two bottles in hand. Matty thanks the man and slips a tenner into his pocket. I take a sip, and the cold liquid feels refreshing against my tongue, while Matty takes a long swig from his bottle before continuing.

"So, little bird," he says, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "I was going to say something, but I'm not sure how you're gonna take it."
I look into his eyes in anticipation and I wondered if I was finally going to get some closure on the matter.

Just then, a figure appears behind him. We turn to see a girl, one of Matty's former flames, walking towards us. I recognize her from one of his music videos.

"Hey," she says, wrapping her arms around Matty's neck in a tight embrace, completely dismissing my presence. "I missed you."
Matty shifts his weight from one foot to the other, looking uncomfortable. "Hello, Gem"
She turns to me and raises an eyebrow. "Who's your friend?" she asks, as if noticing me for the first time.
"This is Trinity," he says, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Trinity, this is Gem."
"Nice to meet you, Gem" I say, trying to keep my tone friendly.
She gives me a once-over, and I feel a shiver run down my spine.
"It's Gemma, actually" she corrects me with a synthetic smile.
I'm unsure of how to respond.
Matty clears his throat and steps in between us.
"For fucks sake, Gem, can I get some privacy here?" he says, looking at me.
She rolls her eyes. "Whatever. Catch up with me later, yeah?" she utters, grabbing his ass before walking back inside.

As soon as she's out of sight, Matty turns to me and takes a deep breath. "Sorry about that. She can be a bit much sometimes."
I try to keep my voice steady. "It's okay. Are you okay?"
Matty nods, looking relieved to change the subject. "Yeah, I'm fine. As I was saying..."
I look on in anticipation. But as Matty begins to speak, my heart sinks.
"Actually, may I be excused for a moment?" he says.
I feel a lump form in my throat as I nod, trying to hide my disappointment. It seems like I'll have to wait a little longer for Matty to realize how I really feel about him.
And with that, he disappeared into the sea of bodies.