To Ourselves and The Shadows

Akaashi Keiji's POV:

As I slowly wake up the next morning I watch as Shouyo wiggles around, beginning to wake. I rub his back and honestly, don't feel like working today. As he wakes up he looks at me and smiles brightly.

"Papa! Good morning!" He smiles as he hugs me. I hug him back and rock him slightly.

"Good morning my sunshine. How about no school today? Hm? I'll take a day off and we can enjoy ourselves and I think... Papa managed to save some money for a movie-" I said before being interrupted by a wide grin and twinkling eyes.

"Yes please! Yes yes!" He declares as he jumps up and down on his bed and off onto the floor.

"And how about we repaint these walls again as well?" I ask him as he dances around on the floor.

"Really? We still have some paint left over?" He stares at me with hopeful eyes. The way his eyes open and smile at me remind me of Bokuto-san. It only now that I realize the resemblance they have. I nod and walk to him. I kneel down and hold his face gently with a smile. My thumb rubs his cheek as he tilts his head in confusion.

"Papa? Is something wrong? Y-You're crying." Shouyo says as he puts his small hands on my face and wipes my tears with his palm.

"I-I am? I'm okay my sunshine. You just look so much like someone I knew." I speak softly with a smile on my face. I scoop up Shouyo and stand up while placing him on my waist. "Did they make Papa cry? They mean if they make Papa cry! I will make them cry if they made Papa cry!" He puffed up his face and he tries to flex his little arms.

I chuckle softly and look off to the side. "Yes.. yes he did.. But let's get you ready to go. No school today." He bounces around and let's out happy squeals as I walk to the closet and grab a small outfit with orange striped shirts and blue shorts. I pull him some white socks and sit him on his bed.

"Get dressed then brush your teeth okay? Then meet me in the living room. Love you." I kiss his cheek and walk out as he dresses himself. I walk to my room to dress myself in a long sleeved white shirt and black pants. I then walk out to the small hall and stare at the small pictures I have on the walls of me and Shouyo. Some of his birthday and others of holidays. I walk past a pot that holds water from a leak above. I stop and look up at the leak from the ceiling and sigh. Despite this poor old house, this, this old house is home. The home I came to with my Shouyo.

When I moved in, it was an honest shithole. Worse than now. And Shouyo wasn't great either. He was so small and hungry and sick that I thought I only had two options. Give him up to someone who could save him or continue to try and care for him and possibly have him die because he was not strong enough. I couldn't let go though. I grew too attached and I was going to continue to try and keep him alive. I kept him by my side and did everything I could.

Finally one morning, I woke up with him by my side, like every morning. But he was moving around and not in a sickly way, but rather in a way of life. He was filled with life and joy. He saw my blue grey eyes and stared back with his hazel ones. I picked him up as he wiggled and cooed at me. I still didn't know of his age or anything like that but I was not willing to let go yet and I never will.

He was growing better by then and when I could, on June 21, I legally adopted him. Even though I don't know his true birthday, that became his birthday to me and him. He fully became forever my son on that Friday morning.

That's what our first picture is at the beginning of the hall of pictures. Me holding my announced baby boy close and him smiling at me. I smile at that one everytime I walk past it. I walk to the kitchen and make a quick breakfast for Shouyo and me.