Errands

Akaashi Keiji's POV

"Papa! Dad! Look at this one!" Said Shouyo as he points to the many puppies in the small pet shop.

This was our second errand of the day, after getting my car and moving the last things out of the house, Koutaro and I brought Shouyo to look at the puppies. I, in all honesty, am not fond of getting a pet but I know it would make Shouyo extremely happy to have a dog.

"Keep your voice down sunshine, there are other people." I say as I brush his messy hair.

After a while, Koutaro takes Shouyo into a pen of many puppies and I swear, I think my heart stopped. Running and hopping all around them are small 10 week old Corgis. Koutaro and Shouyo wear smiles of complete joy and enjoyment. One Corgi though, has Shouyo's attention the most. Shouyo begins petting and smothering the smallest Tri-color Pembroke Corgi in complete love as it runs around him. The puppy gives tiny nips to his hand but Shouyo enjoys that if anything. He takes a ball and rolls it across the pen as the pup waddles to chase it while running into the other puppies that decided to chase the ball as well. In the end though, the smallest of them came out on top and brought the ball back to Shouyo for more.

"Do you like that one Shouyo?" I ask as he nods and agrees. I look over to Koutaro as he almost looks exactly the same from when I first saw him again, covered in kids. Only this time, it was with dogs.

I watch for a little longer as Koutaro plays with Shouyo and the puppies before walking to the front desk asking to fill out the adoption papers and pay the fees. This purely reminds me of when I adopted Shouyo as my son.

Filling out the banking information on the documents, one of the workers goes over to the pen, picks up the one small Corgi Shouyo was playing with, and walks over to me. I hear him ask Koutaro where were they taking the puppy as he explained that it may have gotten a home. I hear him make a disappointed 'Oh' as I look over to him. I just smile softly as this is one of my favorite parts of being a parent, surprising your child when they are at their low.

Gently, I hold the puppy in my arms and thank the worker as I walk over to Shouyo and Koutaro from behind.

"Shouyo, what should we name her?"  I say as I kneel down to meet his eye level. He turns and his small frown disappears. He hops out of the pen while Koutaro just watches with a large smile. "Happy Early Birthday Shouyo." I say with a smile as I present him his early birthday present. Well, only 4 days early as today is June 18th.

"Really!? Thank you Papa!!" He hugs me tight as he pets and gently hold his small corgi.

"Hmmm, what to call you girly." Shouyo wonders as he thinks long and hard while the Corgi barks softly.

"How about Kaori, Sho?" Offers Koutaro as he leans over the pen.

"Ooo! I love it! Kaori it is!!" Shouyo announces as a final way to top it off.

We left the pet shop that day with a puppy for Shouyo and a new picture to add to my wall of pictures, Featuring me, Shouyo, Kaori, and Koutaro all with either small smiles or large grins.