thirteen

A/N: Long update today! Hopefully you enjoy, happy reading! Alli x

Written on 13/4/21, WC: 2705

-

[ 2nd Person POV ]

"See you soon, Claire!"

You and Sebastian waved at the slightly older woman, her jet black hair bobbing along with her head as she laughed. You and Sebastian had waved to her with the same hand and same motion, at the same time. Claire had a simple motto for humour: if it was funny, then it was funny. No questions asked.

She closed the door to her boutique as you and Sebastian turned around, two paper bags hanging off on his arm. One was his, containing his new outfits (courtesy of Claire, who had also given a few new pieces in for free. She simply adored him), and the other was yours. You had picked up a new (F/C) top and a piece of jewellery. Sebastian had refused for you to carry your bag and insisted on taking it; despite how much lighter yours was.

"Where are we going?" Sebastian asked as his eyes scanned the surrounding stores around him. Some had rather fascinating names, such as Under Armour, Yolé and Twinings. Others he found amusing, such as Typo and Coffee Bean.

You grinned upon hearing his question, looping an arm around his free arm. You tugged him in your direction as began to walk. "To the pet store!" You said loudly, gaining some surprised stares from surrounding passerby(s). You ignored their looks and continued on, nearly jumping in excitement with every step closer to the said store.

Pet Lovers' the store read. The branch in the mall you were at was much larger than at other malls. This branch was two stories. The first floor was where all the fish, rodents, reptiles and feeders were kept at along with their respective supplies.

The second floor housed puppies and kittens, as well as their supplies to cater to their needs. There was a side door attached at the second level, where one could exit and enter the dog 'park'. It was more of a playground. It was where the puppies of the store could interact with others and exercise.

At the side of the store on the first floor, near the checkout counter, was a small booth hidden in the corner. Though it was small, it was decked out with information and care guide pamphlets for many animals.

Part of the booth's importance was also the rehoming service it offered. Owners could send in a document, containing the pet's photo and information, as well as why the pet was being given up for adoption. Most often the owners were moving away and could not bring the pet along. Sometimes, it was a hoarding case and some of the pets in better health were put up for adoption. It was a sad and unfortunate part of adoption.

Some pets such as reptiles could be surrendered to the booth itself, and the pet store would look after the pet until it gets updated. If not, you would have to apply to adopt a pet you were interested in and go through a scanning process held by the owner and the people who manned the booth at the pet store.

That's where you were at at the moment, scanning through the various printed sheets of paper, pity flowing through you as you looked at the photos of the pets being put up for adoption. You had done this numerous times before, looking through each and every available pet, hoping for a connection with one of them. It was not that you did not want to bring home any of these animals, but none of the were really the one. Sounds cliché, but you meant it.