coney island

Fridays at home are usually fun for Aaron. He whistles while making Jack's breakfast and jokingly tries to join Juliette in the shower, even if he's already in his pressed suit. This Friday, she finds him doing the dishes in a quiet kitchen, eyes lost on the blank wall in front of him.

She holds off saying anything until Jack's bus has left, walking up behind him and wrapping her arms around his waist, burying her face in his back regardless of if her makeup is already done. Aaron dries off his hands and turns around to pull her in a hug.

"What's going on?" She asks once they've separated.

"Jack asked me to speak to his class about being an FBI agent." He says. "They're having a career day."

"That sounds like fun." She smiles for a moment, "What are you worried about?"

"I don't want it to be difficult for him, bring up any old memories."

Juliette looks up from her brewing coffee to meet his eyes. "You're a great dad. Trust your gut, you'll make the right decision."

He nods, still lost in thought, so she continues. "I'd be happy to tag along, talk to the kids with you."

At this, Aaron smiles. Almost laughing, he says, "In another life, you're a great elementary school teacher."

Doubled over in laughter in their kitchen, Juliette counts this as a successful Friday morning.

x

Succumbed to Jack's constant begging, Aaron and Juliette are walking into the Quantico elementary school the following Thursday. In a way only an excited third-grader can, Jack waves to the couple as they enter the colorful room.

After sharing a child version of their job description, Juliette selects four kids to participate in their profiling demonstration. Aaron fully absorbs the role, failing to hide his smiles as he circles the room before successfully deducing which one has the stapler.

They clap, only stopping when their teacher holds her hand up, "Class, let's give the agents a big thank you."

Being the last people to present, the kids are dismissed for the day. Jack runs up to the couple, pulling them both into a big before saying, "That was so cool."

"I glad you liked it." Aaron says, swelling with pride for his son.

"Can we get ice cream?" He asks, giving them the most undeniable eyes without even trying.

Aaron's smile falls, "I have to get back to work, buddy."

Juliette looks up, "I'm done for the day, I'd be happy to take him."

He gives her an are you sure? look, to which she smiles softly and nods. "Alright, Jules can take you if you don't mind spending the evening with her instead of Jessica."

Jack nods eagerly, "Thanks, Dad!"

After saying their goodbyes, Juliette and Jack part ways to their frequent tiny ice cream shop, ordering their desserts and sitting at a table in the shade.

Immediately, Juliette can tell something's off. Normally Jack would be spewing Star Wars facts or talking about recess adventures, but today he's staring into his bowl of ice cream with the same lost look in his eyes as Aaron.

Finally, she decides to ask, "Is everything alright?"

She's not sure what she was expecting him to say, but it was definitely not, "Did you know my mom?"

This is more than unknown territory for Juliette, but it's too late to turn back now. "No, I didn't. But I've great things about her."

He nods, "I really miss her."