Chapter 50: Quirkless Detective

"Atsushi? He went to pick up Ranpo-san, he hasn't come back yet." Doppo Kunikida, who was still sorting out papers, finally noticed the time.

Kiyotaka Ayanokoji looked at him and didn't respond to what he said. After getting off work today, he came upstairs to look for Atsushi Nakajima, only to find that there were not many people in the Detective Agency, not just Atsushi Nakajima and Ranpo Edogawa, even Osamu Dazai was not here.

"What about that bastard Dazai?" Doppo Kunikida looked around, then asked Junichiro Tanizaki who was sitting in his seat, "Junichiro, did you see Dazai?"

"Dazai-san?" Junichiro Tanizaki thought for a moment, "I think that he left pretty early... Huh? Didn't he go out for work?"

"Of course not!" Doppo Kunikida shouted, "That bastard ran off on his own again! Does he not know it's working time?!"

Kiyotaka Ayanokoji stood in place, "Since Atsushi hasn't returned yet, should I leave?"

"Ranpo-san was commissioned to investigate a case that was suspected of having something to do with the Mafia, and because Ranpo-san doesn't really know his way around there, I asked Atsushi to go with him." Doppo Kunikida pulled off a piece of paper and wrote an address on it, "If Kiyotaka is in a hurry, you can go here to find them."

Holding this casually written address, Kiyotaka Ayanokoji thought to himself: Was he sure he that he could find the place?

Yokohama was a port city, with seawater and rivers everywhere. Kiyotaka Ayanokoji walked out of the Detective Agency. He glanced at the sunset in the sky and then stuffed the piece of paper into his pocket. A river where deaths have occurred should not be difficult to find.

He now has proved that he was too confident in Doppo Kunikida's unique address and his ability to find the way.

"Is it here?"

Kiyotaka Ayanokoji was standing by the river. He glanced at the high-rise buildings behind him, and then at the rushing river in front of him, but there were no corpses or police...

Splash, suddenly, the sound of water came from not too far away, Kiyotaka Ayanokoji paused.

The sound he just heard was not like the sound of water flowing, but more like something falling into the water, or something coming out of the water, but no matter what, this kind of noise was not something that a small animal could make.

Just as Kiyotaka Ayanokoji thought, he soon saw a figure emerge from the water, the man climbed onto the shore, shaking the water off his body.

"...There's someone here?"

The person who walked out of the water seemed to have just noticed that there were other people around. He turned his head to look, and the moment Kiyotaka Ayanokoji locked his eyes with his he slightly squinted his eyes, this person... was somewhat strange.

The clothes and hair on his body were all drenched, but that couldn't conceal his very good appearance. The thin and pale youth had a pair of ruby-red eyes. He threw his soaked coat on the ground, that kind of weak and sick feeling he gave off strengthened instantly, if it were not for the smile on his face, Kiyotaka Ayanokoji would have thought that this was an innocent young man who accidentally fell into the water.

The youth staggered over, leaving a trail of water stains behind, Kiyotaka Ayanokoji looked at the water behind him without moving.

"May I ask if this is Yokohama?" The man asked.

"This is indeed Yokohama." Kiyotaka Ayanokoji looked at him blankly, "Sir, who are you?"

The young man hid his mouth with his right hand, his eyes curving into small crescent moons, "I am just a tourist, I accidentally fell into the water and got soaked all over. How unfortunate."