Chapter 11: Hero

"Why didn't you apply for the hero department?" Shota Aizawa looked at him.

"Because I am quirkless." Kiyotaka Ayanokoji said of course, "Even Mr. Aizawa should know that there is no way to be a hero without a quirk."

Shota Aizawa once again felt that familiar suffocating feeling from meeting this guy before.

Even if he could do it, no one would be able to refute him as long as he said that he couldn't, because what he has been showing was that he couldn't do it and he had a condition that cannot be refuted, which was, being quirkless. In the eyes of today's society, someone quirkless was just a useless existence.

"If I say that you have a chance to enter the hero department..."

"I refuse."

Shota Aizawa was rejected before he even finished talking!

Shota Aizawa leaned against the wall lazily, he didn't get angry for getting interrupted, but yawned instead, as if he hadn't slept for several nights. "Tell me about your reason."

"Is there any other reason that I need?" Kiyotaka Ayanokoji stood there, with no single emotion in his golden eyes, like a pool of stagnant water, "I am an ordinary person, an ordinary person with no quirk and wish to live the life of one. I'm quite satisfied with staying in the general department, the hero department is not suitable for me at all."

"Remove the reason of you being quirkless." Shota Aizawa stared at him, "I want other reasons."

Kiyotaka Ayanokoji looked at him, his golden eyes still calm, "There is no other reason."

"There is." Shota Aizawa said, his voice low and raspy, "In fact, all of your choices can be explained in one sentence: You don't want to be a hero."

Kiyotaka Ayanokoji quietly stared at Shota Aizawa, his golden eyes were still indifferent, without any emotions.

"So, teacher, are you planning to make me a hero?"

Shota Aizawa shook his head, "I have only just met you, so this conversation is just meant casually."

For Kiyotaka Ayanokoji, the choice to be a hero was probably just because most people now dream of being a hero. In this society with a surplus of heroes, teenagers still choose this profession, in order to fit in, he certainly would not choose other options to make himself stand out.

So this meant... Kiyotaka Ayanokoji was actually not interested in becoming a hero.

However, there was still something that Shota Aizawa did not understand, what was the goal of this little brat?

What was the point of starting such a purposeless life in disguise? Is his so-called escapism just his fear of trouble?

"Hey, Ayanokoji, don't you have anything you want in life so far?" Shota Aizawa looked at him, "Nothing at all?"

"Freedom." Kiyotaka Ayanokoji replied. "What I want has not changed from the beginning. What I want is no restriction, freedom to decide my own future."

Shota Aizawa looked at him with a complicated expression, "What is your definition of freedom? Simply to be able to do whatever you want? Or is it being able to go beyond the rules? There is no such freedom that you want in this world."

"I don't think it is necessary for us to discuss if there such a thing as true freedom." Kiyotaka Ayanokoji remained calm, "Teacher, is there anything else you need? If not, I will take my leave first."

"Don't go." Shota Aizawa stopped him, "I am not here just for this, but for something else."

Kiyotaka Ayanokoji nodded, "Please speak."