2

— Chapter Two —

Over the course of the week, Donghyuck could tell his father was getting more nervous. Not because of the upcoming trip but because of his wife who had been too quiet recently. Donghyuck himself was quick to notice how his mother's face faltered every time she looked at her husband and it made him mad.

On Thursday, Donghyuck's father once again called his son into his office. This time without Akira, making Donghyuck suspect that something was up. As he walked into the man's office he was toying with his pocket knife, a present by his mother. He always had it with him, not because he thought himself to end up in dangerous situations but because it felt like his mother was protecting him through the knife.

"What is it, father?" he asked as soon as the door had closed behind him. The other man looked up and pointed towards the seat in front of him. Donghyuck sat down and expectantly looked at him.

"I have a request. I know you have been watching the way I act and work with others for quite a while now so you can take over my position one day. Now you know I'm kind of in a dilemma regarding mine and your mother's wedding anniversary this Friday." the older man rambled.

Donghyuck just sat and listened with a blank face. He had a slight suspicion of what his father was about to ask him but he didn't really want to hear it.

His father took a quick breath and then continued "So I thought it would be a good idea if you go to Canada alone. I know you have the English skills, we didn't pay that much for your education for you to not be able to speak it. Anyway I think you know how I work things and I think it would be a great opportunity to experience the situation first hand. I'm sure you'll be able to represent our company perfectly."

Ah, exactly how he expected it, Donghyuck thought. He closed his eyes and nodded to himself. Of course his father would do something like this. He knew the proposal was more of an order so he didn't even bother rejecting. Instead he just said "Sure, if that's what you want."

"Great!" his father smiled and clapped his hands. He raised up from the chair and handed his son a envelope. Donghyuck didn't even have to ask what was in it, he knew it would be the flight tickets. He wordlessly stood up and walked to the door but just before he could open it, his father's voice stopped him.

"Make sure you get along well with Mr. Lee junior, eh? I heard he is going to take over his father's company in a soon future and it would be best with us to have rather good relations with them." he said.

Donghyuck's only reply was a hum. He opened the door and walked out without looking at his father. He was feeling annoyed, pissed almost at the older man. Of course his father was going to let him do the work while he was enjoying his wedding anniversary with Donghyuck's mother who by the way deserved way better than him.

When the two arrived home that day, Donghyuck only stayed shortly for dinner. Afterwards he had made plans to go to bar with his friends, not for too long but at least to catch up.

"Donghyuck! We're here!" Jaemin shouted for him once Donghyuck had entered the bar. It was small, cozy looking and the man couldn't help but smile at the sight of Jaemin together with their other friends Jeno, Renjun and Yangyang.

He walked over to them and sat down between Jaemin and Yangyang. Both men, even though not drunk yet, clearly had a few drinks already.

"I can't stay for too long, I got to catch a flight tomorrow." he informed them. They all let out a collective whine but then Yangyang spoke up "Doesn't matter. We'll make the best out of it."

Donghyuck gave him a grateful smile. Yangyang, along with the others, was also a company CEO's son. They all had money but that wasn't why they were friends. What connected them all, apart from their wealth and status, was their fate. They were all going to be the next generation of CEOs and therefore could relate to each other's struggles with for example work or their fathers.