20

— Chapter Twenty —

Donghyuck couldn't walk the next day, nor the day after that. Mark mostly took care of him but Donghyuck, despite liking it, still felt a bit resentful. He wanted to show Mark that he could very well live on his own and did not need to be babied all the time. Yes, they had kind of made up but Donghyuck's point during their fight was still standing.

That's why he went to explore the one cave once again once he could walk. Mark knew about it but had respected Donghyuck's wish to go alone.

The young man walked through the narrow cave until he was once again met with the exit that led to the paradise-like place. It was still just as humid and foggy as before, nothing had changed. Donghyuck had taken his knife with him, feeling safer with it.

There didn't seem to be any big animals around here. Not that they would have much space to move either. Donghyuck already struggled to explore and seeing as he didn't find any other stones or anything, the cave entrance was also the only place where big animals could have hidden.

Small animals however there were lots. Hundreds of birds Donghyuck had never seen before, not even in the jungle outside. It seemed as if this place was a secret, an island on its own. Donghyuck felt like an intruder, as if he was interrupting the ever-lasting peace of this place.

He looked around, his eyes hurting a little at all the bright colours. He could hear the big waterfall in the background and even spotted quite a few aloe vera plants on the ground. At first he wanted to cut some with his knife but then decided not to. Presumably no human outside of him and Mark had ever stepped foot inside this place and Donghyuck didn't want to be the one to damage such a precious environment.

Some time later Donghyuck started to feel dizzy. He hadn't drunk much today and the humid air was making his head buzzy. He decided to leave, turning his head one last time to look at the beauty this place held.

Through the cave he went until he was greeted by Mark on the other side. The man had seemingly waited for him, looking up in delight once he heard Donghyuck coming.

"Hey." he said.

"Hey?" Donghyuck asked. He tilted his head, feeling confused as to why Mark was here.

"Were you waiting for me?" he asked and Mark nodded. He bent down and kissed Donghyuck's forehead. Again Donghyuck felt slightly confused but let it happen, sighing against Mark's chest.

"You're unharmed, right?" Mark asked.

"Yeah, sure. Nothing happened. What's all this about?" Donghyuck laughed, giving Mark a playful nudge.

"Nothing." Mark mumbled but Donghyuck could tell he was lying. He gave Mark a look, scanning his face. The man's lips were chapped and Donghyuck could tell Mark had bitten down on them. Also his cheeks were flushed and Donghyuck started to realise.

"You were worried about me." he said. It wasn't a question but a statement. He waited for a deny from Mark but the man only looked away to the side.

"Oh my god, you actually were worried about me." Donghyuck giggled. Mark huffed and looked down at him "So what if I was? I just wanted to make sure you don't die in there but I also wanted to give you space. So I just waited here." he admitted.

Donghyuck couldn't help but giggle again. He wrapped his arms around Mark's waist as he whispered "That's very cute but you don't have to worry about me."

"But what if something similar to the eagle incident happens again and I'm not there to save you?" Mark asked, looking down at Donghyuck with worried eyes.