4

— Chapter Four —

For the longest time, Donghyuck just sat under the tree. Only slowly the feeling of numbness went away and he was starting to feel the impact of the plane crash on his body.

Images of the security guard and the stewardess flashed before his eyes. He knew they were dead but somehow could not grasp his mind around it. He had talked with them and seen them just a few hours ago and now they were gone, just like that.

Not to mention his own situation. Even though he was fine physically, he certainly was not mentally. He felt numb and emotional at the same time, the feeling draining all energy out of him.

He had no idea what the time was but when the sun slowly started to set, he realised he had just been sitting under a goddamn palm tree for hours on end. He stood up, wincing at the pain that shot throughout his body.

Where was he supposed to go? What was he supposed to do? He tried pulling out the phone from his pocket but it was completely smashed just like he thought. A single tear rolled down his eye at the realisation that he had no way out of this situation.

The closest thing to civilisation was the airplane so Donghyuck walked back there. As he approached the wreck he heard splashing noises from inside. His heart started to beat faster as he slowly walked to the entrance. Ready to run for his life at any second, Donghyuck prepared himself mentally to see a predatory animal such as an alligator.

But when he finally arrived at the open part of the plane he stopped in his tracks as he realised.

"Mr. Lee! Thank god!" he exclaimed, making the man in front of him jump horribly. Immediately he turned around and Donghyuck's face fell once he spotted the gun in Mark's hands.

"Oh my god, what the fuck! Why would you scare me like that?" Mark asked angrily and lowered his gun once he realised it was only Donghyuck and not an immediate danger.

"You're alive." Donghyuck whispered, slowly walking up to the man who only mustered him up and down with a cold face.

"Indeed I am." he said. He stored the gun away in a bag that was hanging around his shoulder and then looked back up at Donghyuck. The latter raised one eyebrow and asked sceptically "Where did you get that gun from?"

Mark didn't reply but his eyes betrayed him. Just a quick glance to the bag which had been stored under his seat told Donghyuck that that was the thing the man had been hiding at the start of their flight, the thing that his security guard had handed him.

"Oh." he whispered and then cleared his throat. An awkward silence spread between them as neither of the two knew what to say.

"So... any idea on what to do know?" Donghyuck asked, breaking the painful silence. Mark avoided his eyes as he shook his head and said "Nope. Pilots are dead as well, I checked the front half of the plane. I'll be fine though, I had a coaching about this in school."

"You had a coaching about what to do after a plane crash in school? What kind of school did you go to?" Donghyuck asked, scoffing. It sounded rather unreasonable but Mark stayed serious.

"An elite school in Vancouver. Only rich kids, god they were annoying. All arrogant brats that did not take anything seriously. But because they were all so wealthy and their parents would have private jets we all got a survival coaching. Never thought I would need it though." Mark explained. It was probably the longest Donghyuck had ever heard him talk consecutively.