10

— Chapter Ten —

Donghyuck tried standing up, his legs still weak. However he now lasted for a bit longer before he had to sit back down because his leg got wobbly.

The nice weather was so different from what Donghyuck had gotten used to. When he exited the cave, doing so fast so he wouldn't fall, he had to blink several times to get his eyes used to the bright sun light.

He quickly fulfilled his needs before returning to the cave entrance. Mark was nowhere to be found so Donghyuck just rested in front of the cave, slightly out of breath from the pain that ran through his leg. Even though it lessened by the day, it still hurt and he started panting if he strained it too much.

His stomach grumbled and he looked around. Next to the fire, on top of the first-aid box laid some more meat. Mark surely wouldn't mind it if he ate it, Donghyuck thought. He grabbed it, and took a few bites. Since the meat was cooked it tasted quite alright.

"Enjoying breakfast, I see?" a voice asked. Donghyuck looked up to see Mark, shirtless of course and with a bird draped over his shoulder. Immediately Donghyuck looked down again, not really sure whether it was because of Mark's exposed body or because of the dead animal.

"After you finish eating, you turn on the fire again and cook the meat. I'll quickly cut it and then go back to the plane to get some more stuff." Mark told him. Donghyuck hummed only and continued chewing on his meat. His eyes were avoiding Mark at all times, being practically glued to the floor.

The older man was quick in his moves, soon disappearing into the woods again. Donghyuck peeked over to the meat that he was supposed to cook and sighed in relief once he saw that Mark had actually cut it.

Turning the camp fire back on was more difficult than Donghyuck thought it would be. Mark had obviously turned it on before this morning which was why a little bit of embers was left. Donghyuck used it and some dry wood and leafs to relight the fire, the heat burning on his face. As if it wasn't hot enough already.

Later Mark came back. He didn't even acknowledge Donghyuck and only went straight into the cave. When he next stepped out he was wearing a shirt and the other pair of Donghyuck's pants.

"How is it going?" he asked Donghyuck.

"I guess it's finished soon." mentioned man said. He wasn't too sure about the meat since he only ever had cooked fish and they didn't usually take this long.

"You guess?" Mark sighed. He went over to the fire and took a bit of the meat. He cut it through with Donghyuck's pocket knife and nodded "Yup, it's finished. I'll eat now and you can have the rest later."

Donghyuck hummed. He was still slightly scared of Mark and also the other man was speaking rather coldly, leaving Donghyuck to think he might be in a bad mood. He hadn't known Mark for long enough to be able to assess his mood which was why he just said nothing.

Mark sat down next to him and Donghyuck wordlessly handed him more of meat. The older man started eating while Donghyuck kept an eye on the fire.

A silence spread, neither uncomfortable nor comfortable. Donghyuck's thoughts drifted off, not thinking about anything in particular. He was just once again trying to process the whole situation.

The man next to him stood up. He had finished the food and now turned to Donghyuck "I will go take a bath, hunting is disgusting. For you there is some water inside of you want to clean yourself."

"Thanks." Donghyuck mumbled. He felt his cheeks turn hot as he realised he was probably reeking of sweat and his own body smell.

Mark went off, leaving the younger to himself. He got the hint and checked the cave. Indeed at the entrance was a bucket of water. Donghyuck had used the bucket before, to keep his fish fresh after hunting them.