51 - mine

CW: mature content, smut, rough sex, knife play - please if you get uncomfy, just stop reading ;)
-

Late one night in the middle of June, Athena was restless. She'd been in Draco's room all evening, studying for her final end of year exam for Transfiguration, which was to take place tomorrow afternoon.

He hadn't returned yet, and she tended not to sleep much on the nights he didn't show, in order to avoid the nightmares. She'd never tell him that of course. He'd only feel obliged to stay.

They'd seen more of each other over the last few weeks in spite of the fact he didn't show up every single night.

In most of her free periods, Athena would go to the Room of Requirement, and he would regularly be there. She'd watch him while he'd repair the cabinet, without giving her any explanation of course, and the two would converse, occasionally fuck, and the hours would fly by. She had missed and been late to multiple lessons already.

Over the past few weeks, since exams had begun, most students spent the evenings at the pub to 'blow off some steam'. Athena usually went along with her friends for a few butterbeers or a firewhiskey. Hermione, however, would refuse to join them, wanting to stay in the common room and get in as much revision as she could manage. It was the most sensible choice after all.

Athena usually ended up sitting with Maeve, or Cedric and his mates when they were at the pub too. They tended to go less nights than the 6th years, providing they were taking their NEWTs, not just regular exams.

But on this night, Athena decided not to go along, instead revising responsibly, and choosing to do so in Draco's dormitory as it was quietest there.

He returned gone past midnight, astonished to see her still up and lively. There was an unreadable look on his face. Strange and unlike anything she'd seen from him before. A feeling emerging the moment he had entered the room. Inviting, but simultaneously dreadful. Like a twist in her gut.

"Haven't you got an exam tomorrow?" he asked, tearing off his jacket and throwing it over the coat rack. "A good night's sleep would do you well, you know."

"I'm fine—just a bit stressed. I hadn't studied for Transfiguration at all," she replied, leaning up eagerly when he bent down to kiss her.

But the moment his lips came into contact with hers, a harrowing, cold, lifeless feeling consumed her entire being. She felt as if she were falling—down and down until there was no end. Falling so far into darkness, her whole entity was lost in it.

With a harsh push to his shoulders, she shoved him away, panicking. He appeared stricken, but said nothing, only gaping at her with wide eyes.

"What—what was that?" she uttered, attempting to recover herself from the trauma of that feeling that still lingered within her. Numbed with shock.

There could only be one answer for it. And when considering it, she could feel it emanating around him like a dome.

Dark Magic. Unforgivables. It had to be.

"Were you—Did you use Dark Magic?" she questioned, shoving her books aside and standing from the bed.

He said nothing, his expression firm like stone, suddenly unresponsive.