EMMERANE POV

"Emmerane, what's wrong?"

I shake my head.

"Emmerane..."

I turn my face away.

"Hey. Leave her alone. She obviously had a bad session. She'll talk when she wants to." Zurie says sharply.

"Okay..." Amaya sighs.

I feel Levi's hot gaze on my cheek and turn so my back faces him. It's a stupid rule, really. That we have to sit with our dorm mates during lunch. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Flashback

"Okay, everyone." Miss Bennett says. "I want you to shift."

One ny one, everyone begins to shift. Brown wolves, grey wolves, white wolves...

Only I am left standing.

"Emmerane? Why don't you transform?"

I shake my head. "I–Ican't, Miss. I don't know how."

Low growls come from the wolves.

"A wolf that can't shift is a disgrace."

Disgrace, disgrace, disgrace.

You are a disgrace, Emmerane.

I can no longer call you daughter.

You are no longer welcome in this family.

Disgrace, disgrace, disgrace.

I flinch.

"I–"

"Enough. You will sit this one out."

I walk to the edge of the clearing, and no one notices the tears flowing down my face.

"Now, class, as we all know, rank in packs follow the greek alphabet. No one lower than the first three ranks are allowed in here, as everyone knows. White wolves are alphas, grey wolves are betas, and brown wolves are gammas, and so on. Black is always a sign of omegas, remember that.

"Now, we only have one alpha here, which is Levi. And we all know our packs, right? Some of you may not have your alpha here, but you will still have that bond. Do you feel it? Yes, now gather in your packs.

"Everyone knows you will find your mate on day. Your mate might be anyone of any status, but you will both get to decide which rank you will both choose for yourselves. Although, alphas will always be mated with alphas.

"So I am giving you a chance to mingle now. Make your alliances. Forge your bonds.

"And you," she turns to me. "Learn to shift."

End of Flashback

A tear rolls down my face.

It's okay. It's okay. I will not let them see.

I will not let the world break me again.

***
ZURIE POV

"Hey." Maxon says.

"Get lost."

"Wait, Zannah–"

"Zannah? Oh, my god, Maxon, you don't ecen know my name?" I laugh. "What's wrong with you? What gives you the right to judge me? What gives you the right to talk to me? What gives you the right to even look me in the eye?

"Because what you did back there? That's cowardice. To kill something innocent just because. Cowardice."

I turn and walk away.