Chapter 7: Acceptance

I looked at the figure who had been watching. I had managed to keep my doings secret. However now, I was busted. My mom walked up to me and, for a second, I thought she would grab me by the arm. Instead, she looked at me with pure guilt, like she had done something horrible.

Ellie: I'm sorry. I should've shown you this but he wouldn't let me.

Hannah: What do you mean?

Ellie: There was an incedent. Just watch.

She walked over to the projector and pressed her hand against the platform. A pad came up with numbers 1 to 9 on it. My mother put in a few numbers and the room changed again. It warped untill we were back in the room. However in this room, there was a lot of blue lighting. I saw the door open and saw a younger version of me.

Hannah: Is that...?

Ellie: Shhh.

I watched as the younger me walked towards the centre of the room where, a headset was. I saw my younger self climb onto the chair and grab the headset. Just as the headset was above my head, I saw the younger me slip. Thankfully, I fell onto a keyboard. The bad news was that, now there was a broken keyboard. And if that wasn't enough, the headset fell on my past self's head.

Immediately, the door opened. My farther walked in and saw the scene I could see: A child lying on a broken keyboard with a heavy headset having just fallen on her, projecting whatever was inside right into her eyes and causing her to bring out tears. He ran over and picked up the child, an expression of guilt on his face.

Henry: It's okay. I'm here. It's okay.

I could see my dad walking towards the exit. The scene changed, this time showing my Dad by my crib. I appeared to be out cold with a strange device on my head. The device was a kind of metal hat with wires coming out of it. The wires went into a monitor which had the words "Retrieving memory: 95%".  Next to my farther was my mother.

Henry: I'm an idiot. A fool. I should've left that place behind me long ago. But I didn't Ellie. And now it's cost our girl some if her memories.

Ellie: It's not your fault. Besides, she wasn't harmed to badly.

Henry: Wasn't harmed too badly!? Ellie she nearly saw my entire life. I swore to myself that I would never burden another soul with memories of being in my perspective. Youve seen what happened with Reginald. Think how much trauma he got.

My Dad was standing now, though with slight difficulty. He collapsed back on the chair,his face flustered with exhaustion and despair. My mom grabbed a nearby glass of water and gave it to him.

Ellie: Well you can't give that room up. It contains everything of your life.

Henry: I know. But some things need sacrifice. Ellie...

He grabbed her hand and looked directly into her eyes.

Henry: If anything ever happens to me, then I only want one thing from you.

Ellie: Anything.

Henry: Keep her safe.

With that, the scene changed again and I found myself back in the room with my mother. While I looked around, a realization set in: my mother's overprotectivness had been because of my father's wish. I ran towards my mom and hugged her.

After quite an emotional moment, we went out of the room. She looked like she wanted to talk about something but stayed silent. Then, when we were in her room, she spoke.

Ellie: I need to show you one more thing.

She walked over to a cubboard and pulled something out. At first, I couldn't tell what it was. When she got closer, I realized what it was: The black top hat that once belonged to my dad. She went over to the wall were the strange room was and slid another part out of the way. In this part was a large hole in which she put the hat. The floor gave way to a hole in the ground from which came up a wardrobe.

Ellie: Hannah listen. I know we've had our ups and downs but, since you'll eventually join the clan, I thought to do some early preparation.

She opened it up and revealed its contents: numerous hats, gems and letters in different jewel form. It was the ultimate hat creator.

Ellie: I'll leave you to it.

She left as I reached the required materials for my future hat. A few jems, some letters, a hat. I spent an hour trying to see which hat would look best, which combos would do well, which look I would never use.

Finally, I was satisfied with the hat I had made. It was dark purple with a green stripe around the base of the hat. There were 4 rubies on the hat and, at the top, a golden letter "H".

As I created the hat, I thought back on what had happened. How I had seen my father's memories, how he had been captured. How with the accident he swore to protect me. How my mother protected me so much to uphold the promise they made. And how mom had left me off the hook.

It was weird. She had been acting wierdly lately. Still, I had nothing to be concerned about. I continued perfecting the finishing details of my hat, before going to the lock in centre. That was were members put in the hat they would use in the clan.

And there was someone I needed to tell all this too.