v ━━ a family vacation!

𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄.
❝ a family vacation! ❞

"DID YOU KNOW STEVE ROGERS?"

They've been glued to the television screen for a straight twenty—four hours now, watching with bated breath. Everything else has been pushed aside and forgotten; her parents' date, their morning run, the nightmares. Everything is about this now, about this man on screen in her uncle Steve's uniform, wearing her uncle Sam's red, white, and blue shield on his arm.

Svetlana sits with her back perfectly straight, posture rigid and knees pulled to her chest. Her father is very still at her side, shoulders hunched and brows furrowed as he tries to understand, tries to process what they're seeing. Sandwich lies between them, his head low on Bucky's knee, tail and ears down, growling occasionally at the flat screen.

"I was two years out of West Point when Steve came back on the scene." The man called John Walker is telling the newswoman, sitting in a spotlight that shouldn't be his, "I followed his career very closely as an Avenger. Uh, I like to think that I modeled my work after his..."

Natasha scoffs from her spot leaning on the wall, a beer in hand and a scowl on her face.

The newswoman quickly asks, "So, you've always wanted to be a hero?"

"I liked that what I was doing would make people feel safe."

Unable to listen to another word, Natasha shakes her head and leaves the room while Svetlana carefully peeks over to watch her papa closely, biting onto her thumbnail. Eyes squinted, Bucky's jaw juts out and his thin lips part.

Walker's voice fills their empty living room, "Steve Rogers was the kind of guy who could do that. He gave me hope..."

As his head rolls back, Bucky's eyes skate off the screen and his chest shakes with an exhale like some sort of pained disbelief. Expression flinching with something she can't decipher, her papa's lips roll in so his teeth can scrape over the soft peach skin.