ix ━━ lay in your arms when the world is burning

𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄.
❝  lay in your arms
when the world is burning ❞

❝  lay in your arms when the world is burning ❞

WALKER RUNS.

And they catch him.

In a warehouse not far from the murder scene, they close in on his crouched figure. Shards of pale sunlight cut in through the high windows and cracks in the concrete, casting ugly shadows on the whole scene. Helicopters rumble overhead, clearly meaning they're not the only ones on the hunt. The four of them circle the man like birds of prey, slow and careful, treating him like a bomb that might blow at any moment.

Walker is whispering to himself, screaming and sobbing to himself, running his hands over the cowl over his head. There's blood still splayed across the shield and his chest is heaving, a maniacal look in his darkened blue eyes.

Svetlana feels sick to her stomach, tears in her eyes at having seen such a thing. She's seen death in battle, in the line of duty. She's been the cause of it too many times to count, in all those days of murder and gore in the time of her childhood. Yes, it was ugly and awful and sickening and wrong, but it was not like this. A choice of senseless brutality to end the life of an innocent.

Svetlana understands now. She didn't have a choice. But Walker did.

Sam speaks first, "Walker?"

His eyes roll up to look at them as they stop not far away, the darkness in his eyes growing deeper, "You guys should see a medic, you don't look so good."

"You should take a look in the mirror," Natasha points out lowly.

"What?!" Walker growls, voice straining as he grows more desperate, "You saw what happened. You know what I had to do. I killed him because I had to! He killed Lemar!"

"He didn't kill Lemar, John. Don't go down that road." When he scoffs, Bucky shakes his head to the side, "Believe me, it doesn't end well."