xiii ━━ truth will out

THIRTEEN

THIRTEEN.
❝ truth will out ❞

SVETLANA HAS NEVER SEEN ANY MONSTER LIKE IT

And she has seen a lot of monsters in her day.

The water is churning, strange currents coursing through the canals to form white water. Svet briefly resents herself for getting so distracted, for focusing on Peter rather than their surroundings. But there isn't a lot of time for self—scolding because then, all at once, the water explodes upwards.

Ned and Betty's boat is thrown through the water like on a tidal wave, crashing onto the pavement as they scream. Peter rushes towards Betty while Svetlana helps Ned out of the boat, her big eyes trained on the water. MJ sprints to join them, hopping over the boat to help Peter pull Betty onto solid ground. The water takes shape now, twisting and swirling until it forms some kind of huge man.

An Elemental.

It's even worse than she expected.

Svet cringes back when the colossal water monster roars.

Our food the corner of her eye, she sees Ned grabbing Peter's arms, gasping out, "What is that?"

Svet opts for silence when Peter cries back, "I don't know!"

"What're you gonna do?"

"I left my suit in the hotel room!"

"Why?!"

"Because I'm on vacation, Ned!" Peter insists through clenched teeth, "Everyone's gonna see my face. Just get them out of here—!"

"Go, just go!" As MJ and Betty rush towards the staircase, Ned quickly grabs Svet's hand, "Come on, new girl!"

"No, no, wait—!" Peter looks at her with wide eyes, hand hovering towards her, You'll stay with me, right?"

Her job is to keep an eye on Peter Parker. He's her mission. Her target. Of course she'll stay with him.