viii ━━ whole world watching

𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓.
❝ whole world watching ❞

WHEN BUCKY FINALLY RETURNS to the Latvian safe house, Natasha is already there and they're packing Svetlana's bags

She hasn't brought much with her on this little "family vacation" to start with, but they're gathering up what little she has — her sundress and her jeans, the Madripoor dress, her black and silver uniform. It's all going with her.

Svet doesn't look well. She looks younger than she has in years; skin and bones and three shades of sickly pale. She's not the vibrant and healthy young woman she was yesterday. She's not Svetti. She hopes she's not Plan B. She's not sure what she is.

The truth and the nightmares have taken a toll on her.

And the look of her takes its toll on Bucky as well.

Natasha looks up when he enters the flat, one eyebrow arched and face perfectly blank. She doesn't say anything so he doesn't either, not for a long moment. He waits for her to scold him, to yell at him for endangering their daughter, for breaking Rule #4, for not doing what she told him, but she does none of that.

"Natalia."

"James."

Bucky nods, "You're here."

Natasha nods back, "I'm here."

Sam glances between the couple with wide eyes.

Even Zemo looks a bit uncomfortable.

It's awkward. Awkward because Svetlana can't seem to look at Bucky. Awkward because Svetlana won't tell Natasha what went on. Awkward because Bucky and Natasha never discussed what was said on their date a few days ago. They each stare at each other for a moment, an entire silent conversation hanging in the air between them without anyone actually voicing it.