xi ━━ target : peter parker

ELEVEN

ELEVEN.
❝ target : peter parker ❞

"FOX? FOX, COME IN."

A patchy voice cuts through a low hum of radio static, "Fox, do you copy? Talk to us, Svetka, come on."

The comm buzzes, but no one responds. With a simultaneous sinking feeling in their stomachs, three people realize that it's been too long. Svetlana was supposed to be in and out of the building within twenty minutes, and it's getting close to forty—five now. She had volunteered herself for the small undercover role, knowing she was the least recognizable of their crew. Her parents agreed, though Bucky was a bit more reluctant. Still, she's eighteen now and she knows what she's doing. She said as much when she made her argument to go in alone.

Now, they're beginning to wonder if they were wrong.

Nervous energy crackles through the air.

Bucky grits his teeth for another silent moment before he determines, "I'm going in."

"James. Stand down." Natasha bites back from her perch on a rooftop, "James! Do you copy?"

Now Natasha has two people not responding over their shared commlink. Wonderful, she scoffs to herself. The woman huffs a breath and rolls her eyes, pushing up from her sniper's nest and jogging across the rooftop on silent feet. She tracks his familiar form as he slips out of his own hiding place and turns down a sudden corner. Natasha makes a leap and then drops down into the alleyway in a familiar pose, finding herself blocking Bucky's path.

"Don't," she warns.

His eyes and voice grow fiery, "I'm not gonna just sit here while our daughter—,"

"—has it under control. It's been radio silence." Natasha cuts in evenly, "She hasn't said the distress word. She knows what she's doing. We gotta trust her."