Chapter 50 - Jack

Warnings: Hospital stuff, sickness, nerves, no sleep
Third Person POV

Jack sat in a hospital chair, his hands folded and his chin resting on them, staring at Race and Spot.

The two boys were asleep on the hospital bed, them sitting up with Race resting on Spot, his head on his chest.

Jack felt someone squeeze his shoulders.

He looks up to find his second oldest Soulmate.

Davey shoots him a small smile.

Jack sighs softly, leaning his back against the chair and putting one leg over the other.

Mike and Ike sat on the floor next to them, their sweatshirts under them, their backs against the wall, and Ike's head on Mike's shoulder.

They were both asleep.

Blink and Mush just went to grab food for the group.

Crutchie stayed with Medda.

It wasn't that he hadn't wanted to see Race, he really did, but he also hated hospitals and had horrible memories there, so they decided it was better for him to stay home.

Romeo had left earlier that morning.

Other boys wanted to come, but they couldn't overwhelm Race, so it was only a few at a time.

Elmer and his siblings were still sick, so Albert was still helping them, along with Specs and Romeo occasionally helping and Finch and Tommy boy.

Tommy boy and Finch were coming by later to see Race.

Davey sits down next to his Soulmate. "You're tense." He states.

Jack sighs. "I'm just worried about him." He mumbles. "Romeo told me about last night."

Before Davey could respond, Spot stirs.

Spot stretches a bit, though careful not to disturb Race, as his eyes slowly opened.

"Hospital beds and chairs are so uncomfortable." He mumbles, his arms wrapping around Race's waist/stomach area.

"I agree." Jack mutters, his eyes feeling heavy.

He hadn't gotten very much sleep within the past four days, so he was pretty tired.

Davey looks at Spot. "Long night, huh?" He asks, his eyes soft.

Spot nods.

A few minutes later, Race stirs softly.

Jack was silently praying that Race stayed asleep.

Not that he didn't love him, he did, but Race was in less pain when asleep and Jack didn't want him to be in pain.

Race ended up waking up.

It took him a few minutes while Jack, Davey, and Spot talked quietly, but he did wake up.

Race rubs the blurriness out of his eyes, letting them focus on Jack and Davey.

A smile appears on his face. "Hey, guys." His voice was weak and pained, but at least he was excited.

Jack shoots Race a small smile.

Race's smile turned concerned. "Jacky," he sighs softly. "I don't want you losing sleep over me." He mutters.

"Race," Jack starts softly, leaning over and gently holding his hand. "I don't care how much sleep I lose as long as I know you're okay." He whispers. "I'm glad you're home."

Race smiles softly. "I care that you sleep though."

Jack nods. "I know, and it will later. I promise." He tells him.

A small smirk appears on Race's face.

Jack rolls his eyes. "Io prometto."

Race's smile only grows.

A ding comes from his phone.

Race reaches over to grab it, earning him a obvious wince in pain.

He sits back down with Spot, opening his phone.

"Ooo." His smile grows at he hits a button.

Spot smiles, nuzzling his head in the crook of Race's neck, his arms still wrapped around his boyfriend's waist and under his arms.

Jack and Davey hear a call sound.

Then, Albert's voice.

"Hey," Race grins. "It's my favorite Kasprzak sibling." He states.

Elijah, who was in Albert's arms, his head in his arms on Albert's shoulder, looks up at Race through the phone.

He smiled weakly. "Hi." He whispers.

Race shoots Albert a concerned look.

"He and El are still pretty sick." Albert explains. "Most of the younger ones are good right now, but them, Emmalyn, and Ethan are feeling sick." He informs Race.

Race frowns.

Jack and Davey share a look.

"Red brought Rider to help take care of Ethan, who's being stubborn and saying he's fine." Albert explains. "And Emmalyn's Soulmates haven't left her side in four days."

Race nods. "At least they're taking care of them." He says.

Albert nods.

"How's El doing?" Race asks.

Albert smiles. "He's getting better, slowly." He answers. "Actually, he had wanted to see you."

Race smiles as Albert walks to Elmer's room.

Jack smiles softly. They're all family.

Davey squeezes his hand softly.

"El," he heard Albert start softly. "Race is on Facetime."

Elmer shoots up, injuring himself in the process, but he didn't seem to care.

"Race!" Elmer exclaims. "How are you doing?" He asks.

Race chuckles. "It was a rough night, but I'll be okay soon." He answers.

Elmer nods.

"How's Spot doing?" Albert asks, a bit concerned.

"Just peachy." Spot answers sarcastically, his voice still a bit muffled my Race's neck.

Race squirms a bit, Spot having tickled him.

Jack chuckles softly.

After a few minutes, Albert and Elmer had to go, so they hung up.

Then, Blink and Mush came back in.

To say Jack was grateful for some food, even if it was terrible hospital food, was an understatement.

"Race!" Mush exclaims, putting the food down and hugging him.

Race smiles. "Hi, Mush." He whispers against his shoulder.

Blink joins their hug, Spot also involuntarily joining the hug because he was hugging Race from behind.

Mike and Ike had been startled awake, but they also joined the hug.

After, they all started eating.

Race was just eating crackers and Ginger Ale.

"Remember when Elmer thought Ginger Ale was only for Gingers?" Mike asks, smiling a bit.

The boys in the group laugh.

Jack smiles. He had honestly missed this.

Not it being in the hospital room, but the happiness and joking and everything that came with them being together and okay.

Jack lays his head on Davey's shoulder, his eyes closing slowly.

This is what family is.

And we're okay now.

All of us.

1020 Words
No, the ending is not foreshadowing for something worse to happen lol.