Chapter 26 - Race

Third Person POV

Race spent the next two weeks in the hospital, as the doctors had wanted to keep an eye on him.

The boys, especially Spot, Jack, Davey, Crutchie, Albert, Elmer, and JoJo, visited him every single day.

Race was restless and just wanted to leave the hospital. He hated it there, especially the fact that he hates being babied, and not being independent.

The boys tried to help him make the best of it, by bringing cards and games for them to play, but Race was stuck alone while they were at school.

He missed dancing and track, and even just going to school. Teasing the Delanceys, annoying Weasel, and just seeing people.

Some boys from Brooklyn, including, obviously Spot, Hotshot, Ace, and Smokes, visited him a few times together, as they were his friends as well.

Race annoyed Jack and Spot everyday by continuously asking if he could leave yet. It made Davey, JoJo, Albert, and Crutchie laugh, but annoyed Jack and Spot.

While he was in the hospital, Race made up this thing for the Newsies, that you could only come in if you knew the password.

The password made everyone laugh, because it was "I solemnly swear I am up to no good." It also concerned every doctor/patient that heard it, so they, mostly Davey and Spot, had to explain it.

Race slept a good amount of the time that he was there, so the boys constantly took pictures of him sleeping so peacefully, as it wasn't something they saw much of from him.

Meanwhile, almost everyday, one or two police officers would check in with Race to ask about his dad, until they found him...

The day that Race got out of the hospital

The day that Race got out of the hospital, he was literally bouncing off the walls. To the point where Spot had to hold him to get him to stop.

He was so excited, as expected.

Davey, Crutchie, Spot, Jack, Albert, Elmer, and JoJo had come to be with him when he was discharged. (A/N Sorry, I literally forgot the word (discharged) for the chapter before this.)

"Have everything Race?" Davey asks him, checking to be sure.

"Yes mom" He groans, as the other boys laugh. Davey rolls his eyes, as Race sends a cheeky smile his way.

"Don't be mad Dave, just remember that he's excited" Jack tells his boyfriend, still laughing, as he plants a kiss on Davey's forehead. Davey glares at Jack.

"Literally all of the boys call me mom. They even got Les to start doing it. He did it in front of our actual mom!" Davey exclaims, frustrated. The boys all burst out laughing, as Davey rolls his eyes again.

"So, before we can actually go home, we have one stop we need to make first" Spot starts. The boys all look at him warily, except Race, who turns to him, confused.

"Please don't freak out, but we need to head over to the police station that your dad is at" Jack informs Race, who's eyes widen. He freezes.

"Hey hey, calm down. You can have as many of us there as you would like. He can't get you" Spot assures Race, who nods.

"Let's head out. The quicker we go, the quicker I can leave" Race whispers, and the boys all nod, leaving the room. Albert and JoJo put their arms around Race, who weakly smiles at them.

At the police station

Race chose Jack and Spot to go in with him, as Crutchie, Davey, Albert, JoJo, and Elmer stayed in the lobby.

The police officer led them back to a room where Race's father was behind bars on one side, and two police officers were in there. Two that Race had met before.

"Morning Officer William and Officer Clay" Race greets, whispering. The two boys softly smile at Race, who tries to return it. Officer Clay pats his back.

"You didn't die?" Race's father asks in annoyance when he sees Race. He huffs.

Officer William turns to Race, silently asking him something, and Race nods. Officer William smacks his father in the back of the head.

"Anything you have to say to him before he's shipped off to jail? Your earlier interaction answered our other questions" Officer William states, mumbling the last part.

They stay silent for a minute, before Race speaks up.
"Why'd you do it?" He whispers, and his father rolls his eyes.

"You ruined my life, you stupid gay child. You killed your mother, got me sent to jail twice, and made me lose my job!" His father shouts, and Race steps back, feeling his body fill with anger.

It wasn't something that he felt often, he only really felt it when someone hurt his friends a lot, or his brother.

"Well, I'm sorry that I ruined your life! I'm sorry I can't control cancer! I'm sorry that I made you lose your job because you're always drunk!" Race exclaims, breaking. His father steps back in shock, as the officers and his friends look at him, shocked as well. "Maybe one day you'll realize that I got a job, tried my hardest in school, and never fought with you because I thought maybe one day you might love me like you had when mom died. Now I see that it's not gonna happen. The World isn't nice to kids like me."

Everyone stays silent, while a few tears silently slip down Race's face.

"If you ever do decide that you care, call me. I don't know why after years of abuse, neglect, among other things, I still love you, but I do, and it's not gonna stop soon. It's the reason I wear this. If you ever do decide you're proud of me, I want to give you a second chance, even though I shouldn't" Race finishes, tears streaming down his face now. He had been fidgeting with a necklace that his mother and father had given him when he was six. It had a picture of all of them in it, smiling, happy.

Race walks out of the room, Jack, Spot, and Officer Clay following. Officer Clay stops Race, turning him towards him.

"Hey kid, you did good in there. I understand how you feel, growing up with abusive parents is something I relate to. I can only hope that your father ends up apologizing, unlike mine." He tells Race, who weakly smiles at him. Clay wipes a few tears off of Race's face, as he hands him a card. "Call me if you ever need anything. I wouldn't mind becoming a big brother to you."

"Thanks Officer Clay, I think my friends would like you" Race responds, and Clay smiles.

"You don't have to call me Officer, kid. Just call me Clay" He tells Race, who nods.

"Have a good day Clay" Race states, and Officer Clay grins at him.

"You too Racer." He responds, as he watches Spot and Jack sling their arms around Race, as they walk away. "You too."

"You feeling okay Race?" Davey asks him when they get to the lobby. Race nods.

"I'm gonna be okay. Just right now, I'm tired, let's go home" Race tells them. The group nods, leaving the station.

Race turns back one more time, waving and smiling at Officer Clay, who was standing in the doorway as he watched the boys leave. Officer Clay smiles, and waves back.

1242 Words