Chapter 2 - Davey

Third Person POV

It was David's first day of school in a new school.

He had just moved from Connecticut to Manhattan, New York, because his father had gotten injured and they needed to go find a job elsewhere.

David has two siblings, one sister, one brother. His twin sister, Sarah, was going to his high school, but she's a year ahead of him. Sarah is a Junior, while David is a Sophomore.

David's younger brother, Les, is going into fourth grade at the elementary school nearby the high school.

To say that David was nervous was an understatement.

Sarah and Les were super excited to make new friends, but they had always been better at making friends than David was.

David did better in the academics, not the social part of school. He wasn't worried about grades, he was worried about making friends. What if I don't make any friends this year?

Not many kids like to make friends with new kids, they mostly pick on the new kids, and it didn't help that Davey was moving to the school in the middle of November.

David and Sarah walked into school, said goodbye to each other, and parted ways. The school had sent David's schedule in the mail, so he already had it.

He took a look at what he had first today. AP Literature. That should be this way?

David had no clue where he was going, but he ended up finding the class after a few minutes.

He walked into the class, and the teacher looked at him. His teacher smiled and David awkwardly waved. "Class, this is our new student, David. David, you can go sit next to Charlie Morris" His teacher, Mrs. Morrison, introduces him.

David looks around the class, trying to find a Charlie Morris. A boy with a crutch waves at him, and David walks to the seat next to him, and sits down.

"Hi, I'm Charlie, but my friends call me Crutchie. Want to be friends?" He asks, smiling at David. David makes eye contact with Crutchie, and freezes up.

"Y-Yeah, I'm David" David manages to stutter out. I've never been good at making friends, and I think I just made it awkward. He thinks to himself.

"Don't be nervous, most people here are nice" Charlie, or Crutchie, comforts him. David nods, and sends Crutchie a small smile.

Mrs. Morrison starts class before David or Charlie can say anything else, so they focus on what she's teaching.

After Class

"Hey, what class do you have next?" Crutchie asks, packing his stuff up.

David looks at his schedule, "Journalism."

"Hey, me too! All of my friends are in it, we run the school pape!" Crutchie exclaims, looking really excited. He was basically jumping up and down with excitement shining through him.

His smile made David really happy, too.

David tilts his head in confusion, "Pape?"

"Oh sorry, I've been hanging around Jack way too much. I think I'm starting to get a New York accent from him. Pape is what he calls a paper" Crutchie explains, laughing at the thought.

"Oh, sorry" David responds, nodding as he looks down.

"Don't be sorry. Come on, let's go!" Crutchie exclaims, really excited, again.

He basically pulls David to the next class they have together, really excited.

David doesn't do anything, he just laughs a little, grateful to have a friend.

Crutchie opens the door, heading inside the classroom when he calls someone. "Jack!"

"Heya Crutch" Someone calls from the back of the class. David just stands there next to Crutchie, not knowing any of these people.

"Jack! Meet my new friend, David! I met him last class" Crutchie introduces David. David looks down, he could feel everyone's gaze on him.

"Nice to meet ya, Davey" The person who David believes to be Jack greets.

David tilts his head, confused at the new nickname, no one had ever given him a nickname.

"Yeah, n-nice to m-meet you too" Davey mumbles, internally freaking out.

"David's a little shy, so don't be too rowdy around him. He doesn't know us yet" Crutchie tells Jack. Jack nods, looking at David, who has finally looked up from the floor.

There are a lot of kids in the class, all looking at David. David hears Jack snickering at how shy he is, but he chooses to ignore it.

"So, Davey, this is Racetrack, but we call him Race or Racer, and his best friend Spot" Jack introduces the two kids closest to David.

Race is a tallish boy, with curly dirty blonde hair, and bright blue eyes. He has pretty light skin, and lots of freckles.

The boy next to him, Spot, has brown hair, and brown eyes. He is sitting next to Race.

"Most of us here are gay or BI" Crutchie informs him. Random, but okay. I won't judge. Davey thinks to himself.

David nods, "I'm BI."

Crutchie nods, smiling, seeming satisfied with Davey's answer, and relieved that Davey doesn't hate them.

Jack goes on to introduce the rest of the boys in the room, Albert, JoJo, Finch, Elmer, Henry, Romeo, Buttons, Sniper, Mike and Ike, Tommy, Boots, Blink, and Specs.

Finch and Tommy boy are dating, which David thinks is cute. Specs and Romeo are dating as well, they found out they were soulmates by eye color, and most of the boys are gay.

The journalism teacher's name is Mr. Denton. He basically lets the kids run the paper by themselves.

The rest of David's day went by quickly.

The weird things were that the boys gave him a nickname, Davey, but he didn't mind, and that he sometimes caught Jack staring at him. He didn't think much of it.

Crutchie let David sit with him during lunch, and David was grateful to have made friends.

He also found out that the group called themselves the Newsies, he thought that was cool.

He ended the day with a bunch of new friends, which he never though he would ever make friends, but he did, thanks to Crutchie.

He went home, did his homework, and went to bed, pretty excited for the next day of school. Excited to see his new friends.

There was, however, one thing on his mind that he couldn't stop thinking about. Jack Kelly.

He had learned Jack's last name from one of the teachers yelling at Jack.

He couldn't take his mind off of him. He felt something towards him, something he couldn't quite place. He hadn't felt it before. He decided to sleep on it, it was probably nothing. Right?

1100 Words