Chapter 1: Strolling Around Town

"May I get you something to drink?" an old maid asked me.

I shook my head and glanced out the dusty arched window. Sunlight hit the window making the room have a yellow tint. I sat in a chair enjoying the warmth.

I am the prince of Eveille while my mother is the queen. The King is long dead. He was caught cheating with some peasant. Mother wasn't too pleased so off with his head. It frightens me how easily she let him go and how she even thought about killing him. Although, she wasn't much of sunshine and rainbows to begin with. I try to not show my complete fear of her and shake off that fact that she killed her husband.

This kingdom is divided into social classes that I believe is completely idiotic. The kingdom would be a more lively place without it. The separation has caused people to be either so lonely or so cruel, maybe even both.

Mother is trying to "train" me so I can rule the kingdom one day. Her "training" consists of yelling at me every day that I'm not good enough to be a king. That isn't very motivational if you ask me. I also shouldn't be cared for like a dog you can give a treat too.

The maid was still standing there, staring at me.

"Well, what do you want?" I turn to her. She jumps a little at my sudden movement.

"The Queen wants to see you," she said softly while looking at the ground. Her long silver hair hangs down, covering her face.

I groaned in annoyance and marched to my mum's door. The sounds of my shoes hitting the marble flooring filled the hallway. All of the white decor is blinding.

I knocked a little too hard on the door causing my knuckles to go a bit numb.

"Harry, don't knock so hard. You have to show grace," I heard her say as she walks towards the door and opens it. "Come in."

"What do you want?" I crossed my arms.

"Don't cross your arms, that's rude, and we need to talk," she sits down and pats the seat next to her pink flower patterned couch. The whole place is extremely "feminine" looking. No one has bothered to change the decor for over 200 years.

Oh no, not a talk. Our talks never end well. Usually, a vase would end up broken on the floor, or someone would end up having a tear in their clothes.

"You need to find a bride soon," she looks up at me, holding my hands in hers.

Is she kidding me? Is she actually joking right now?

"How am I ever suppose to find a bride for you don't let me out of the castle half of the time?!" I start to get heated with anger.

"Don't raise your voice at me! You don't need to exit the castle to find a bride! You're not going to marry a townsperson! You're marrying royalty!" she makes her voice louder than mine to show that she's the boss.

The sound of me marrying some princess sounds awful if I'm honest. I stare at the ground waiting for what she has to say next.

"Harry..." she raises my head with her hand. "There are many girls to choose upon. Many kingdoms that we're at war with! If you marry a girl from one of those kingdoms we can have peace!" she jumps up and claps her hands in excitement. "Also, about your hair... it's rather long. You're starting to look like a girl."

"Oh my god!" I groan once more and exit the room before she could say anything.

"Could I get you anything?" the same maid asked me as I walked towards the end of the hall.